From the Riviera to Belize and Back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adutto

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi Team!! I hope you are all doing fine!!
I'm planning a dive vacation with a fellow Instructor to the Riviera Maya, but as we are planning to be "out" for a whole week plus it weekends we may want to change scenery a bit.

We will spend half of the week at Aldora in Cozumel, that is just because we had a great experience in the past and we want to repeat.
But we would like to go to Belize for a couple of days, being the Blue Hole our main objective. The questions to the forum are:

1. How easy is to rent a car in the Riviera and drive to Belize? Anyone can share experience? which are the rentals that allow you to do that with their cars? is it safe? Belize customs easy/hard? Requirements?
2. We heard a bit about Belize being "not so friendly", is that true?
3. Any recommendation on operations in Belize is welcomed!

BONUS QUESTION: Anyone that can suggest, as an alternative, a good operation in the Riviera aside of Aldora is welcomed. What I mean by this? An operation that does more than the 2 basic turistic, strictly DM Led, dives a day. Basically, an operation that works like the ones in the US.

Thanks for the support divers!!!

Stay Calm and Keep Diving!

In March 2012 I spent a week diving in Cozumel and then took the ferry to Playa del Carmen. The following morning I took the excellent ADO bus to Chetumal where I met a Belize private taxi driver by pre-arrangement. He took me across the border and onto Belize city where I joined the Aggressor liveaboard boat. On the return leg I flew from Belize back to Atlanta but one could retrace the road trip.

In Cozumel the National park goes from Punta Sur to the Cruise ship pier. All dives in the park require a park licensed DM. Have you thought about a private DM? There are a lot of freelance DM's and most shops have extra DM's available. Any time I have rented a car in Mexico they have been very clear that it is not to be taken across the borders. As previously mentioned there is an excellent bus system, ADO, though. A good car rental outfit is Easy Way in Playa, you might check with them Have you considered Xcalak? It is still in Mexico about a mile north of Ambergris Caye and has some great diving with out being crowded.

Hi Adutto,

In my opinion would be better to take the bus in the Ado bus station in Playa del Carmen ADO - Compra early in the morning, to arrive to Chetumal before 3 pm, the time the water taxi leaves to San Pedro/Caye Caulker San Pedro Water Taxi | San Pedro to Chetumal Daily | San Pedro Water Jets Express
Renting a car and drive it is very safe, but is not worth it to leave it parked in Chetumel or Belize City the days you spend diving.
Few years ago I dove the Blue Hole with Amigos del Mar and was very pleased.

Back
Top Bottom