Socorro, which liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jungho Kim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Starting to plan a liveaboard to Socorro Dec, 2015. Which one is the better, the Nautilus boats or the Solmar V? I've been on the Galapagos Sky so I'm leaning towards the Solmar V...

You should consider the Rocio del Mar.

Hands down it is my personal choice!

The Nautilus boats are outstanding. Spring for the deluxe suites. Absolutely 10/10 A+++ experience. We had 1 crew for every 2 pax on my last trip with them. Outstanding food, great service, honestly some of the worst diving conditions I've ever been in on vacation and still managed to be one of the best dive trips I've ever taken.

It's a real easy choice if you can't change the date since Solmar V is sold out from Oct 31, 2015 to Jan 6, 2016.
Solmar V Reservations

Nautilus is showing availability and Rocio is showing limited availability. I'd pick either over Solmar anyway - newer boats and definitely nicer cabins. I know one of the owner's of the Rocio - Dora - thru a mutual friend. In fact my regular dive buddy is on it this week - for the 2nd time in several years. Doing the Sea of Cortez trip. We've done several other liveaboards - he said it's as nice as any of them.

https://www.nautilusbookings.com/index.php?destination=socorro&year=2015
Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard - Socorro Islands Schedule - Rates

They built the Rocio about 10? years ago to be a dive liveaboard. So it's not a converted anything. IDK the history of the Nautilus but Solmar is an old fishing boat. When I first saw it they still had the crow's nest in place. There's several older converted boats working in Mexican waters. All seem to be a similar vintage. All have small cabins with bunks/portholes below deck. Not what I'd want for the long ride to Socorro...

I haven't been on either of the ones you are asking about, but I did the Socorros on the RDL in March, and I can't say enough good things about the boat and crew. Accommodations were comfortable and everything worked. Food was FABULOUS. The dive and boat crews worked like dogs and were personable and cheerful all the time, a feat I don't think I could have managed. We had a wonderful time and I would love to do another trip on this boat.

I had the same dilemma last year and based on those who had been, Rocio del Mar won hands down. I am going in May 2015 and Dora and the others have been extremely helpful throughout. Also, when I booked (although may not be now), RdM was some $300 cheaper than the other two.

I understand that RdM was specifically dsigned for the Socorro route and so should be the best choice.

I have been on the Nautilus Explorer and I have nothing but good things to say about the boat and the crew. From the captain to the hostesses and DMs, everyone was very competent, friendly and always eager to help.

The accommodations are also excellent, especially the top floor cabins, which have considerably more room than the ones from the lower decks.

Thanks everyone! It looks like it will be the RDM or the Nautilus due to availability and also your feedback.

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 04:17 PM ----------

One last question. What is the diving in Socorro like in Dec? I would prefer to go Feb, March, April period as I understand that is when there are Humpback Whales but my girlfriend is a Teacher so her schedule is really limited to the Christmas holidays... But if the diving is Dec is not great, we will consider somewhere else...

Its a moot point since the Solmar looks booked years in advance (part of the Peter Huges network now). But its a good boat thought the cabins are small and it has a long history of diving this area. Once the new owner took over 10+ years ago he took out the tuna tower, added Nitrox etc doing as much as possible to update the boat. The crew remained mostly the same though the head divemaster jumped ship a few years back to the RDM. Regardless of what boat you go you will not be disappointed with the diving. World Class and in our backyard so to speak. The time of year you go can effect what you see. Early trips when the season opens up in late Oct or early Nov have whale sharks and warmer water plus sharks and mantas. The humpbacks come later down the line though seeing them diving can be hit or miss but you will hear them underwater and see them from the boat.

"Solmar is an old fishing boat. When I first saw it they still had the crow's nest in place. "

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom