Advice and companies (and places) for Yucatan Mexico - now-september

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

egrek

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all

My partner and I are making our way finally to the coast in Mexico and whole everyone says Mexico is great to dive, where? I've been told Cozumel and Island Miners are best, but can people recommend any good companies? Dive spots?

I have PADI AOW, 50 dives and dived S.E.Asia, Australasia and Hawaii to date. Like wrecks, want to try cenotes and drift diving, whale shark snorkeling (with partner that one) otherwise open to other things (maybe prefer to stay away from reef dives? Done a lot of them recently!)

We have a bit over a month to kill. Beaches and diving in Mexico and then a jaunt over to Cuba (any good diving there?)

Also conscious of holiday periods, would it be best to go to Cuba now for two weeks, then come back in September for Mexico? Or is it fine now?

Thinking of some time in Cancun (seems the whale shark spot), Island mujeres, Cozumel and down to Tulum.

Any advice, companies and dive sites greatly appreciated (as would decent accommodation, aiming at M$500 for a double room? But realise that may not be so easy on the coast as inland!)

Thanks!

PS. I don't have any equipment and read you should have your own for a lot of Mexico diving? So places that have or rent equipment required!
(Edited)

PPS. Due to a change of plans we've not had any time to research this. We were going to be in the Philippines! And lack of time means I hope I can get more from replies than my reviewing some posts!

Last edited:
Luckily most things in the Yucatan can be done "on the fly". Dive season is year round as are a multitude of things to do and see. I highly recommend Cave Heaven in Tulum for excellent personalized service, Adam is a great resource for the area and now the Cenotes very well. I enjoy all the Mayan ruins (there are 3 major ones in that area), great beaches, playa del carmen and cancun have great night life and cozumel has a great laid back vibe and some of the best diving in the world. The local white mini vans are super cheap and run up and down from playa to way south.

Great diving in Cayo largo (small island) Cuba but other areas not so much (Veradero).

Do not miss the Cenotes and the diving in cozumel!

Excellent start! Thanks. Yes been doing ruins now (travelled over from Mexico City via buses and ruins!) Hence beach now (and diving for me). LP doesn't say much about diving. Before everywhere we've been seems to have easily famous areas, but seem to missing it in Mexico? (Except the islands!)

Looking up Cave Heaven now!
Didn't realise the 'collectivos?' Went all the coast? May make things easier!

Thanks both. Diving cenotes tomorrow with CenoteXperience. (We didn't stop in Tulum in the end)

Then over to Cozumel so any advice on dive sites or companies to go with there appreciated (off to review threads now I've more of an idea)

My son and I recently used Aldora Divers in Cozumel on Aug 19. We arrived there via a cruise ship so we had limited time to dive. We had an unbelievable two tank dive. Our guide was Adrian. After our second dive, they made sure that we were back to the ship with plenty of time to spare. I feel Aldora Divers went out of their way to ensure we had a great diving experience. Thanks, Steven

You do know there is an entire forum devoted to Cozumel? Cozumel
I live there part-time and dive with Living Underwater. They use steel tanks and have 120s for extra bottom time. Small op, personalized service. Excellent boat and crew.

Thanks both. Diving cenotes tomorrow with CenoteXperience. (We didn't stop in Tulum in the end)

Then over to Cozumel so any advice on dive sites or companies to go with there appreciated (off to review threads now I've more of an idea)

Hi there, if you are still in the Yucatan, visit Puerto Morelos.

At least more real Mexico then Playa del Carmen and Cancun. Playa del Carmen does not have great diving, Cozumel and Puerto Morelos are much better. Also do cenotes. Look at the posters website for more info.

Show up in Akumal, about 60 km south of PDC, and dive your butt off every day without prior reservations for about $27.00 per dive. 2 shops, quality rental gear at Akumal Dive Shop for sure, Cenote options available. Just don't tell anyone, we don't want it to get too crowded.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom