Is Club Cantamar Closed? (La Paz)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

george_austin

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles,CA. Alcoi, Espana, Los Barilles, Baja
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Nothing but rumors so far . . . I have an email here from a Baja Diving Services DM saying, "yeah, we're diving" but haven't heard back from Cantamar management as I'll need their shuttle to pick me up in the mornings for the ride up to the Picheinguele port. I'm staying at a hotel on the Malecon.

THANKS!

Any reports from your hotel on the Malecon? I got report from a La Paz local this afternoon. He said the Malecon was hit really hard by the storm... reported heavy damage. This said, I'm not sure what the 'heavy damage' he reported looks like as I haven't seen many storm damage photos out of La Paz yet. Hope your hotel is still there.

We're scheduled to dive with Club Cantamar October 2-4 and haven't heard any reports about the status of the operation yet.

-AZTinman

I got an email from the owner yesterday. He said none of his boats at cantamar were damaged but he's still waiting on word about the condition of the resort. Yes, I hear there were 80 mph winds in La Paz. I will post to this thread when I hear more. I am in La Paz Sep 24-Oct 2 . Was going to go to Cabo Pulmo but they expect power down there for 3 weeks. (No compressors) ??

The report received from the resort today is that damage at the resort was minimal. This report was from someone at the resort and forwarded to me by a couple of dive partners whom are scheduled to accompany me on our October 1-5 trip.

The message from the resort was:

"Yes, Cantamar only suffered minor damages, we are fine, thank you."

Fernando Aguilar

Enviado desde mi iPhone

-AZTinman

I'm planning to be in La Paz in Dec... I really hope locally it will be 'ok'

Any word on diving (sites) conditions? Any damages?

Here's a report from a contact I have in La Paz. Jonathan owns and runs a fishing charter business and a restaurant in La Paz. He sent me the report on Saturday.

-AZTinman

[h=2]IN THE PAST WEEK SINCE HURRICANE[/h]LA PAZ

• Many areas still without water or power, but slowly coming back. Most of the hotels have power and water by day 4.
  • Cell phone reception in many areas returned by day 3
  • Gasoline shortages critical for a few days with rationing or running out, especially as folks from Cabo San Lucas migrated up and started to purchase gas. Same with food shortages. Many of the larger markets and stores are empty, but getting better after 1 week as supplies come in.
  • Some looting reported, but has been controlled
  • Boats in the marina or those that have been abandoned and grounded have been looted.
  • Airport semi-open after being closed for a few days. There are some commercial flights starting next week. Volaris Airlines sent down several empty planes to help with evacuations.
  • It took us 5 days to evacuate all of our clients through the La Paz Airport and through the La Paz Ferryboat taking. Many took another 2-4 days to finally get home to the U.S. Some were stuck in airports for several days sleeping on floors waiting to get flights.
  • It looked like Hurricane Polo was going to kick us again this weekend, but it tempered down to a tropical storm and now threatens only some rain this weekend and during the week. GRACIAS A DIOS! But, it’s like dog-piling on a guy with two broken legs.
  • Town is packed with refugees and escapees from Cabo San Lucas trying to get away or just looking for a roof and water or here trying to purchase gas and food or supplies. There are ZERO hotel rooms available at night. Even the littlest hole-in-the-wall place is booked with people waiting to get in. Even if the hotel does not have full water and power, people are happy to be away from Cabo.
  • As La Paz is the capital of the State of Baja Sur and the seat of government, crews have been working around the clock and hundreds of techs from mainland Mexico along with equipment have been brought over to get electricity and communications back on the grid
-Jonathan (Tail Hunters International)

I just got back last night from this "resort" last night. Things have been cleaned up and the resort and dive boats are up and running. Hurricane or not, this place is extremely run down! Staff is great but no money has been spent on keeping this place up in years. I will be surprised if they last 3-5 more years! Dive crew, Edgar, Daniel, & Maria were great! Diving was good. We had lunch on the boat each day which was good. Boat is older but functional. Would not go back to this resort to stay but I would dive there again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom