Pacific Hurricane Season and Socorro Diving Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am booked in on the Rocio Del Mar for a trip to the Revillagigedo (Socorro) islands between 10th & 18th May 2015, a trip that I have been looking forward to for the best part of 2 years already. But reading about the recent devastation caused in the Baja California region by Hurricane Odile and the fact that the 2014 Pacific Hurricane Season started in late May, I am worried.

I have never been to that part of the world (well, I have been to LA, but that's it) and so have no idea what to expect. I do not mind rough seas during the long crossing over to Socorro and back but the prospect of dives (or even the trip itself) being cancelled is what concerns me. Did the Socorro trips this year up to the middle of June take place as scheduled or were they affected or cancelled because of the weather? And what will they do if the weather is bad on the day of departure?

Including the flights this is going to turn out into one of the most expensive trips in my diving career. I plan to book the flights next month and am also due to pay the second deposit to RdM in November. Should I go ahead as planned or cut my (possible) losses?

A good travel insurance should cover that.
I Guess it would and I have an extremely good one. But that comes into effect only if the trip actually gets cancelled and so I will not know till May.

But if it looks dodgy at this stage, I might want to consider a change of plan right now and make alternative arrangements. Insurance is no use for that, of course.

So, what do you think are the chances of weather intervention in mid-May? Also, will the after-effects of Hurricane Odile et al affect the sighting and behaviour of the big fish out in Socorro?

So, what do you think are the chances of weather intervention in mid-May? Also, will the after-effects of Hurricane Odile et al affect the sighting and behaviour of the big fish out in Socorro?
Historically mid-May should be fine. However our Nov. Socorro last year on the Rocio del Mar was affected by two late hurricanes. We changed our plan & headed up into the Sea of Cortez. It was still a great trip!

As far as marine life, a hurricane brings up cold water & nutrients. The "Big Fish" should be happier and more abundant!

We are returning on the Rocio del Mar Jan. 2015 to Socorro; I am looking forward to an exciting trip.

I visited Socorro and Cabo this year from May 17-31st and we were out at sea for Hurricane Arthur. Shark activity seemed to vary as the storm closed in, and seas exceeded 4'. Less Galapagos sharks but more hammerhead schools. We stuck it out for a while and still got in some good dives, but never got to visit manta rays at "The Boiler". We managed to stay a day ahead of the system and visited the Sea of Cortez as a means of ending the trip in proximity of land, even visiting the sea lion colony of La Paz. Dive insurance did provide peace of mind, however.

---------- Post added September 21st, 2014 at 08:06 PM ----------

As far as marine life, a hurricane brings up cold water & nutrients. The "Big Fish" should be happier and more abundant!
A couple days after Hurricane Arthur passed through in May, we saw pregnant whale sharks off Cabo Pulmo and more were sighted at Pelican Rock off of Cabo San Lucas. Even before the storm passed, there were plenty of hammerheads at La Roca Partida.

I think weather is always a crapshoot, and especially at the tail edges of the bad weather season. For example, we have done several trips to Mexico in October, which is still officially hurricane season, but we've been fine. I think May is definitely the same thing on the other end. You could get unlucky, and if there is a Pacific hurricane, the RdM will definitely not go out to the Socorros. But the chances are more in your favor than not.

The trip is worth it. I wouldn't worry about Odile affecting the diving; there is very little on the rocks to damage. This is not pretty coral diving! It's big rocky structure and a lot of blue water. When we went, there were several days where we couldn't dive where the boat would have liked to take us, because of wind; nevertheless, we had fabulous dives with lots of sharks and manta rays, big schools of fish, and we saw breaching whales from the dive boats and the ship CONSTANTLY. (Our trip was in March.)

I think weather is always a crapshoot, and especially at the tail edges of the bad weather season. For example, we have done several trips to Mexico in October, which is still officially hurricane season, but we've been fine. I think May is definitely the same thing on the other end. You could get unlucky, and if there is a Pacific hurricane, the RdM will definitely not go out to the Socorros. But the chances are more in your favor than not.

The trip is worth it. I wouldn't worry about Odile affecting the diving; there is very little on the rocks to damage. This is not pretty coral diving! It's big rocky structure and a lot of blue water. When we went, there were several days where we couldn't dive where the boat would have liked to take us, because of wind; nevertheless, we had fabulous dives with lots of sharks and manta rays, big schools of fish, and we saw breaching whales from the dive boats and the ship CONSTANTLY. (Our trip was in March.)

That, TS&M, answers everything that I wanted to know and then some. Thank you very much. I'll leave things as they are and risk it.

Glad that you are a Moderator. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom