It May Break Your Heart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZTinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This one may break your heart.

We saw this sea lion at the sea lion colony in La Paz last week. It's a sobering reminder of the impact that trash in the ocean can have on the animals that live there.

She is slowly dying, but still interacting with divers. Unfortunately, no one could do anything to help her.

-AZTinman

ADD_3500.jpg

One reason why I carry a large mesh bag on every dive everywhere and make it a point to grab everything that doesn't belong.

Assume this was at Los Islotes, a place I've dived many times. We see such sad things her in SoCal as well. Such a shame that plastic and other trash finds its way to the oceans.

Yes, it was at Los Islotes. I've seen the same thing in Southern Cali and at Isla San Pedro Nolasco off the coast of San Carlos, Sonora.

The line was so deeply embedded, it was difficult to tell whether it was fishing line or a piece of net. I suspect it was a piece of net.

Colleen and I spent some time picking-up trash on the Club Cantamar Beach during our stay there. We couldn't help but notice a panga loaded with monofilament net sitting on the hotel property. Anyone ever have to resist the urge to burn a boatload of net? We did.

Last year, we were picking-up trash at a beach club in San Carlos, Sonora. We were approached by a obnoxious American about what we were doing. Our conservation went like this:

He asked, "What are you doing?"

I replied, "Picking-up trash."

He asked, "Why?"

I replied, "Because it needs to be done. Do you want to help?"

He responded, "Hell no! Why would I help you pick-up trash? This isn't even my f#*king country! You're a real dumba$$ for wasting your time doing this. This beach will be trashed again in a couple of days."

I replied, "Well, it'll be clean for a day or two? Opinions about what I am vary."

I returned to picking up trash and he returned to drinking his beer.

I guess it helps if we do what we can do. Maybe picking up the garbage we find will help reduce the impact it has on the critters that live in the ocean.

-AZTinman

Just returned from San Carlos and I swear I saw the same sea lion until I read the text. On the south side of the island I noticed one with a similar wound. Very sad.

In the Galapagos, we came across a dying baby sea lion with a 6-pack holder around its neck. We also found another that was basically OK -- the guides managed to hold it down and cut through the plastic. Ever since then, I make sure to cut the plastic before discarding. It probably makes no difference in the long run, but it does make me feel better.

I just came back from Sharm El Sheik, and although it wasn't that littered, I always came up with my pockets full of plastic.

I usually bring something back from every dive!

We just got back from sharm 2 days ago and there is a lot of plastic discarded along with a blanket that we gently lifted off a part of the reef at temple

Back
Top Bottom