Playa Del Carmen Dive Operator suggestions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be in Playa del Carmen in a few weeks, and am hoping to sign up for about 3 days of diving (ideally Cozumel/PDC/cenote). I am staying outside of PDC, so I don't think I can get to Cozumel more than once. I am a bit overwhelmed by the number of dive operators in the area - I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks!

If you have only one day to dive Cozumel and you have dove within the last year and are comfortable in diving perhaps you should try one of the top end boutique / valet ops. The dive your tank op’s allow 70+ minute dives (AL80’S), if you have the air consumption rate to support it.
If I were to front end my trip from the mainland with a dive on Coz I would travel over the afternoon before and get set up with the operator and then get a cheap (decent) room like Suites Colonial ($40). This way you can have a nice local dinner maybe a few drinks and relax and get a good night’s sleep prior to diving without scrambling over in the AM.
I am partial to Tres Pelicanos (180 dives in the last 14 months) and think they are the best operator on the island but I have also heard very nice things about Steve and Kami with Liquid Blue Divers, Dive with Alison, Living underwater and the list goes on. I would avoid the ‘vapor’ operators that sell dives from the mainland and then farm the dive out to the lowest cost boat available.
I would try to make a reservation soon, last week in what was supposed to be ‘off season’ the boats filled up and multiple ops were turning away divers, the normal ‘extra’ rental boats were booked and unavailable. I think December will be a very busy season on the island.

I'm a HUGE fan of Erik Rosenstein and "Beyond Diving"...small boutique operation with the best rental gear in Mexico (if you need it).

:cheerleader:I'm staying at the Mayan Palace in March after a week diving in Cozumel. I have 4 dives left before reaching my 100 dives. I'm in between Puerto Morelas and Playa Del Carmen. I'm thinking I should try to do 2 days of diving in the two areas including cenotes dives. I believe I may be diving w Dive-in or Diverspoint in Puerto Morelas. And, Beyond Diving or Mexico Blue Dream for Playa Del Carmen. I like small boats with VIP service!

blue life is a top choice for diving in the pdc area. especially if you want to do the cenotes. contact frank or karla.
View Profile: Blue Life - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

you do have the option to take the ferry over to coz and dive for the day or you can contact tank ha in pdc. they used to be the only shop that ran a dive boat over to coz. not sure if they still do it. the shop changed ownership but if Manny is still there he is great to deal with
Tank Ha Dive center Diving playa del carmenTank-Ha Dive center - Tank-Ha Dive center Scuba Diving Playa del Carmen Cozumel diving Cenotes

"Beyond Diving" goes directly to Cozumel (no ferry).

I'm going to be there Dec 6-13, staying at the north end of PDC... looking for the same info. I appreciate all the responses.

My advice would be to go with a dive op that someone has been to before and had a good experience with. We booked through our hotel with no prior reviews and the experience was not that great. The dive guide was very late, he took his girlfriend with us and spent most of the time dealing with her, and he had the personality of a door knob! ( sorry if that sounds too harsh) I tried to look up the name of the shop but I can not find it, and I can not remember it for the life of me! Have fun!

I use Abyss in Playa and have for years. I would take the ferry over from Playa to Coz. I use Blue Angel in Coz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom