Dive Operator for cenote dives in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

troy_v

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I, as well as another friend, will be in Cozumel 7-14 March 2015. We'd like to take a day to dive some cenotes on the mainland. Skill levels of each of us are high (wife and I are advanced divers, and friend is a divemaster and rescue diver).

Last year my wife and I did a bull shark dive and two cenote dives out of Playa del Carmen so we know what to expect. We dove Chac-Mool and Kukulcan cenotes. We'd like to dive some different ones this time just to experience something new.

What dive operators have you used and recommend out of Playa del Carmen for cenote dives?

My choice is always cave heaven but they are out of Tulum. Very knowledgable and professional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think Tulum will work for us unless they will come pick us up from PdC. I'll keep them in mind, though.

My sons and I have dived with Erik Rosenstein of "Beyond Diving" a bunch of times now and love his operation. Very small shop with great rental gear. Everyone is treated more like friends than customers.

I know several very good, independent guides -- Natalie Gibb for one, Jason Renoux for another, Eric Burgess for a third -- but I do not know which will pick up in PDC, and it may well depend on how busy they are.

I used Dive Aventuras and loved them. They are quite good at cenotes guiding. They will arrange picking you up from the ferry from Cozumel, take you to the shop, have rental equipment if you need it, take you to the cenotes, etc. They made it all wonderful for me when I did the same thing you are planning. My wife was not diving so they arranged a Tulum trip for her, which she liked.
If Karen Doody is there when you visit (co-owner), have her give you photo advice for the cenotes. She is internationally recognized for her work there and has awards from it.

My wife and I used an independent guide named Eric "Budgie" Burgess. Here is his webiste.

Home Page

He is also on Facebook.

Budgie is an extremely reliable and very friendly ex-Royal Navy Brit who is a vastly experienced Cave Diver. He has been guiding cenote divers in the Yucatan for a long time and knows every one of them like the back of his hand. He was so good that my wife, who suffers from calustrophobia, was not at all apprehensive after the first cenote and did 7 more!

Make sure you include Dos Ojos / Bat cave, Dreamgate and Angelita in your itinerary. Going to Dreamgate cenote in Budgie's humvee along the bumpy track was lots of fun!

Hands down, Protec. I've done cenote tours with them a few times now and wouldn't try anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom