Isla Mujeres Worth Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been to Cozumel twice and expected, the diving there was great. Heard about high chances of seeing whale sharks at Isla Mujeres so I'm considering a trip there. In addition to the whale shark tour which I realize is a snorkel one, is the scuba diving there worthwhile?

They have the underwater sculpture garden which can be a snorkel or a scuba. Also there are several dive shops on the island that list a dozen or so dive sites around the island. The dives tend to be deeper than those in nearby Cancun.
I have only dove a few sights as I am going there mostly for whale sharks. I charter a small boat with one of the best operators based on the island. I have 6 guests on the boat and we go for 4 days with the whale sharks. Sometimes we arrange an afternoon dive somewhere around Isla Mujeres, Mostly the guests extend their trips for diving in Cancun or the cenotes. The cenotes are very nice and work doing (Playa del Carmen)
If you want to see my whale shark trip: Swim with the Whale Sharks of Mexico - Limit of 6 Guests on our Private Boat

Timing timing timing - whale sharks are only at specific times - not all year round.

Isla has some great places to eat. Way different vibe than Cozumel.

I loved Isla! SCUBA not as great as Coz, but still pretty wonderful. Most of the waters around IM are protected sanctuary, so the critters are not hunted & therefore are easily approachable & generally not shy. Made for terrific photo ops! I got some lovely footage of trunkfish feeding & sand divers in a territorial display. Also huge schools of friendly French angels. Even the queen angels were out & about & curious about us.

MUSA, the underwater museum is a fascinating piece of art & nature blended together. Also loved the speedy drift dive at Punta Sur: just like flying! WOOHOO!

Dove with Andres at SQUALO ADVENTURES; very satisfied overall. I especially enjoyed the combo dusk/night dive package. Saw the biggest southern stingray ever, & lobsters out parading across the sand. And a spotted drum in a little cave!

Whale shark encounter: incredible, a thrill of a lifetime. Long, bumpy boatride, but entirely worth it.

Mixed emotions here. I won't go back for diving there. Since beginning all my diving in Roatan from day one, I'm pretty much ruined for other dive sites in the Caribbean except for Bonaire. IM is good to chill and watch hot Israeli women march along the beach in dental floss thongs. Food is pretty good, arty, cheap...a drinkers paradise. Went to a sports bar down on the main bar strip and saw no less than 200 German cockroaches scampering about. You gotta love people.

They have the underwater sculpture garden which can be a snorkel or a scuba. Also there are several dive shops on the island that list a dozen or so dive sites around the island. The dives tend to be deeper than those in nearby Cancun.
I have only dove a few sights as I am going there mostly for whale sharks. I charter a small boat with one of the best operators based on the island. I have 6 guests on the boat and we go for 4 days with the whale sharks. Sometimes we arrange an afternoon dive somewhere around Isla Mujeres, Mostly the guests extend their trips for diving in Cancun or the cenotes. The cenotes are very nice and work doing (Playa del Carmen)
If you want to see my whale shark trip: Swim with the Whale Sharks of Mexico - Limit of 6 Guests on our Private Boat

Looks Like you are sold out for 2015. Do you expect any last minute cancellations? If so let me know...

We have enjoyed diving with a small dive shop 'CasaDelBuceo'. They run a great operation on Isla. They do a variety of dives around Isla and Cancun. I have found them to be very professional, great equipment and wonderful people. The MUSA museum is a great dive to see a man made reef being born.

Some of the reefs at the south end of the island are very full of sea life. I recommend it especially if you are relatively new divers like I am.

CasaDelBuceo takes only small groups 2 to 6 and gives lots of personalized attention.

Anyone go to IM in August? I'm wondering if this is high season or low season - several years ago i went to Playa Del Carmen in August and it was packed with South American people, which surprised me as i thought it would be pretty quiet that time of year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom