Tips for Cabo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DallasNewbie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We've been diving in Cozumel a bunch, but are going to Cabo San Lucas for the first time this May for five days. So I'm looking for some tips like the fantastic tips we got here about Cozumel before our first trip. I've read a few trip reports, and I take it that the viz will not be as good as Coz, and the reefs will be different. But I have many questions that I hope the SB collective can answer:

What are the good dive sites? We're not looking for anything super deep, and no one in our group is Nitrox certified. Is there a good guide anywhere to the different dives?

Are the group dives like in Coz where you get to dive your air?

I've seen good things about Manta Scuba, and I've looked at their website and a few other ops, but prices look much higher than Coz. Is that just the going rate over there, or are there cheaper ops who we might be happy with?

We're staying at a villa north of the marina. Will the dive ops usually pick you up, or do we need to make our way to the other side of the marina, and how do folks usually get around with your gear?

TIA.:thumb:

Never been diving there. Made several fishing trips. Be sure to eat at the trailer park.

We had a great time with Manta Divers when we were there in late November.

You will have to find your own way there.

If you are doing multiple days of diving, chat with them regarding a discount.

We enjoyed the sites right in the Cabo Reserve, just outside the harbour. There are some nice dives along the Corridor, but you will have a longer ride out. We did Gordo Banks and got skunked for the big stuff, but had a great time swimming in the blue looking at the little stuff. The day we went to Cabo Pulmo the winds were stong and conditions were not great. Did see a school of hundreds of Mobula Rays...very cool.

Cabo is all about fishing and golf. Not so much about diving. We generally hit the carib side of Mexico these days but it is tempting to venture back to Cabo to dine at Mariscos Mocambo. I can't eat enough of their bacon wrapped shrimp.

There is diving in and around the Cabo bay. Better diving is at Cabo Pulmo and Gorda Banks. I would say that Cabo is not the dive destination that Cozumel is. My first dives in Cabo were back in 1972 when I drove a brand new Bronco on the infamous Baja 1000 route. Needless to say, the town has changed since then. If you are planning a Coz-like dive trip, you may be disappointed.

Manta was great to work with. The dives are a bit more expensive. I have an old trip report here that may help.

There is diving in and around the Cabo bay. Better diving is at Cabo Pulmo and Gorda Banks. I would say that Cabo is not the dive destination that Cozumel is. My first dives in Cabo were back in 1972 when I drove a brand new Bronco on the infamous Baja 1000 route. Needless to say, the town has changed since then. If you are planning a Coz-like dive trip, you may be disappointed.
I did not mean to imply that we need a Coz experience. But that is my frame of reference. We've been to Coz a bunch, so comparisons will be inevitable, but we are looking forward to something new. It looks like Cabo Pulmo is quite a ways from Cabo San Lucas, and there is a significant difference in price to have Manta take us there vs. making our own way and diving there with the local operator. Is it practical for us to arrange our own transportation for divers and gear from CSL to Pulmo and dive there one afternoon?

ETA: Manta's website lists two tanks at Pulmo @ $240 (including transportation), while the Cabo Pulmo resort dive center has a two-tank dive for $85. For four divers that's a $620 dollar difference. :shocked2: Would love to be able to spend that on additional diving, or golf. :D

The last 15km into Cabo Pulmo is rough. You don't want to be taking a small rental..

Keep in mind that the trip cost includes the transportation and a fabulous lunch in Cabo Pulmo. I don't think you are going to come out much ahead on your own.

The drive is about 1.5 to 2 hours (depending on many factors). It's a long day.

I was in Cabo last week. Worked with Charlotte from Baja Dive. The diving wasn't bad, but certainly not the clear Carribean. The pluses: Charlotte was very easy to work with. Her prices were very reasonable: $150.00 for two days of two dives each. One one dive we had another couple join us (from a cruise ship.) The other three dives, it was just her and myself, so I had my own private guide. The negative: She doesn't do nitrox. The neutral: She doesn't have her own boat. She works with another shop to use their boat. Not that it made a difference. Just fyi. Would I use her again? Sure. Would I dive in Cabo again? Sure. Would I pick Cabo if my goal was a SCUBA trip rather than a vacation where I'm going to get some diving in? Nope.

As far as visibility, it varied from 40 to 10 feet. Water temp was 72 at surface. 64 at 112.

Hi DallasNewbie,

If you are still looking for good guides about diving in Cabo you can check the following articles.

Here are some articles about diving in Cabo
Scuba Diving | Los Cabos Dive Guide | Mexico | Scuba Diving
Dive Guide to Cabo San Lucas & Cabo Pulmo|Underwater Photography Guide
Scuba Diving | Hurricane News in Cabo | New Dive Sites | Sport Diver
http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/cabo-dive-getaway

Usually divers who dive with us few days, leave their gear in the lockers we have, free of charge.

You can also check our Facebook page for updates https://www.facebook.com/MantaScuba

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or you would like to arrange your dive tours and/or AOW course with us.

Best regards from sunny Cabo,
The Manta team
mantascuba@gmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom