Trip Report: La Media Luna, San Luis Potosí [Picture Heavy]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seth Patterson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
MediaLuna_27-SP.JPG

While manning the front desk at Sabal Palm Sanctuary (where I work) this past November, I met a friendly gentleman who was visiting the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas for our annual Birding Festival. After chatting about birds and other such topics, we somehow stumbled onto the conversation of scuba diving, which, not surprisingly, is a bit of an obsession of mine.

My new friend, Richard, asked if I had ever been to, or heard of, La Media Luna in San Luis Potosi, Mexico. After admitting I’d heard of it only in passing but knew absolutely nothing otherwise, Richard threw out some descriptive phrases like “deep, crystal clear,” “thermal springs,” “endemic species” and I was absolutely enthralled. Richard mentioned that he drove down there a few times a year to scuba dive and was curious if I would be interested in making the trip some time. Of course, my pragmatic and (justifiably) cautious mind immediately asked if he’d feel safe driving from South Texas and into Mexico while transporting tens of thousands of dollars in underwater equipment. His hesitation spoke measures and I swept the idea aside, mentally filing it away under “someday, when Mexico is safe again...”

Yet, as the days rolled on, the thought of such an incredible place so close to where I live nagged at me insistently. I found myself googling Media Luna, the Rioverde Valley of San Luis Potosi, cost of airfare, hotels, rental cars, dive shops, etc... and before I knew it, I had planned out an entire trip!

With Gwyn out of work for the holidays, we decided to spend the week of Christmas in the small town of Rioverde; scuba diving in the crystal clear, 118 feet deep, thermal-spring fed lake, La Media Luna. Richard was kind enough to join us (though immensely more brave as he drove while we flew).

Hauling our (overly) packed bags, our flight from McAllen, Texas to San Luis Potosi (city), San Luis Potosi (state) was short and uneventful. As it was close to nightfall when we arrived, and we were advised it was best not to travel at night, we picked up our rental car and checked into a nearby hotel where we met one of our Facebook friends, Luis, and his lovely family for dinner. After sharing stories of many fun travels, Luis gave us some great insights to the region and the next morning we set off on the three hour drive from San Luis Potosi to Rioverde. The drive flew by and before long we found ourselves parked in front of Hotel Media Luna where we promptly checked in, transported our luggage to our room, and prepared our gear for diving.

Shortly thereafter, Richard drove into town and introduced us to the owner of one of the local dive shops, Ossiel Martinez. An accomplished technical diver and instructor, Ossiel was an absolute wealth of knowledge and his dive operation, Buceo Media Luna, provided all our rental gear and tanks during our stay. I cannot recommend their services enough, great people who welcomed us as family. Of course, by this point, we were itching to get in the water so Richard led us down the dusty, 9 km road to Media Luna.

Upon arriving, we were rushed by young boys toting wheelbarrows and dollies, all vying for our patronage. After selecting Ossiel’s “regular kid,” we quickly found out the reason for this seemingly booming wheelbarrow business as the walk from the parking area to the lake-front was a significant one and hauling multiple tanks by hand an exhausting prospect. After paying our entrance fee to the park, we made our way down to the lake, passing a multitude of small shops, restaurants, and camp sites.

At the lakeside there was a platform dedicated to divers with two ladders for crawling back out of the water. Without hesitation, we donned our gear and dropped straight into the awaiting waters. What a wonderful feeling 82 degree water is! So warm and inviting, especially with the cool breeze blowing down from the mountains. Once situated, Richard led us around the lake, showing us the various landmarks (watermarks?) and teaching us how to navigate.

He took us around the big spring head, which drops conically to 118 feet and down into some of the smaller ones, ranging from 30-60ft in depth. Being engulfed in warm, 84-86 degree water, while hovering over the spring vent was a neat sensation! There were few divers this day so visibility was good, ranging from 50-80+ feet on average. Over the years, great mounds of fine silt have accumulated along the bottom of the lake and a careless diver can easily cause a complete blackout with the kick of his fin. So, the fewer divers around, the clearer things stay, and, luckily, we had few divers during the majority of our stay.

After exploring the spring heads, Richard took us to the “petrified” forest, where ancient and massive cypress trees collapsed from the bank and plunged into the depths of Media Luna. The mineral-rich waters have encrusted these giant trees, giving them a petrified look. From there, he led us to one of the swim-through “caves,” which I found absolutely fascinating. I had erroneously assumed these were limestone or some similar karst formed caves, when in fact they are entirely organic. I quickly realized that the walls of the cave were actually root masses from the vegetation above and that the majority of the shoreline was quite literally dense mats of floating vegetation. Poking one’s head out of the various “skylights” throughout the cave found the diver staring out of a small clearing into a dense tangle of grasses and ferns. Swimming to the end of the “cave” revealed its formation. At 30 feet below, another thermal spring bubbled up, the flow cutting a cave-like path through the islands of vegetation.

Once accustomed to the layout of the lake, Gwyn and I set about taking pictures, trying to document as many species as we could find. Currently there are (at least) 6 species of fish endemic to Media Luna and the surrounding springs as well as several invertebrates, including a species of shrimp and crayfish. We spent six days exploring and taking pictures. Unfortunately, I was only able to squeeze in 12 dives over 5 days but all our dives were quite long (2+ hours on average) and all absolutely lovely. The weather started out acceptably warm but quickly turned cold and, let me tell you, going from 42 degree air into 82 degree water was such a wonderful sensation! It was like dropping into a hot tub. Of course, getting back out wasn’t nearly as much fun…

We ended up having really fun and successful trip and are so thankful to Richard and Ossiel for all their help. Rioverde was a quiet little town where we enjoyed many of meal at the local restaurants and our hotel was clean and comfortable. What more can one ask for?

If you haven’t been, I would highly recommend visiting La Media Luna! It’s a remarkable lush, aquatic ecosystem raising up from an otherwise arid landscape.

MediaLuna_01-SP.JPG

The canal running in front of our hotel transfers water from Media Luna to Rioverde municipal and agricultural uses.

MediaLuna_02-SP.JPG

The entrance into Media Luna park.

MediaLuna_03-SP.JPG

It's an extremely popular picnic and camping destination for local outdoor enthusiasts.

MediaLuna_04-SP.JPG

The canal, running through the park.

MediaLuna_05-SP.JPG

The canal where it flows from the lake, depth here is about 6 feet.

MediaLuna_06-SP.JPG

Families enjoying the warm waters of Media Luna.

MediaLuna_07-SP.JPG

Fall-off the dock diving is always fun...

MediaLuna_08-SP.JPG

Looking up...

MediaLuna_09-SP.JPG

Gwyn following me into the depths.

MediaLuna_10-SP.JPG

Probably my favorite species of the trip, the endemic Curve-bar Cichlids (Cichlasoma labridens).

MediaLuna_11-SP.JPG

Papa Curve-bar hurrying his fry along.

MediaLuna_12-SP.JPG

A moment of tension between the parents..

MediaLuna_13-SP.JPG

Gwyn off exploring the lake.

MediaLuna_14-SP.JPG

Another neat little endemic species, the Checkered Pupfish (Cualac tessellatus).

MediaLuna_15-SP.JPG

Male checkered Pupfish showing off his lovely markings.

MediaLuna_16-SP.JPG

An ancient submerged cypress tree raising up from the depths.

MediaLuna_17-SP.JPG

For scale, you can see Gwyn diving amongst the "petrified forest."

MediaLuna_18-SP.JPG

Gwyn investigating a spring head at approximately 30 feet below.

MediaLuna_19-SP.JPG

Millions of tiny gastropod shells were being exhaled from the thermal vent. It doesn't seem like anyone really understands where they are coming from or even what species they are...

MediaLuna_20-SP.JPG

A larger snail peeking out from his shell.

MediaLuna_21-SP.JPG

A nocturnal species, the endemic Rioverde Catfish (Ictalurus mexicanus) was often found lingering around the thermal vents during the day.

MediaLuna_22-SP.JPG

Entering the "cave."

MediaLuna_23-SP.JPG

Gwyn swimming through the cave system.

MediaLuna_24-SP.JPG

A Diamondback Watersnake swims amongst the roots of the cave-wall.

MediaLuna_25-SP.JPG

Gwyn descending down 30 feet to the spring head which forms the cave's headwaters.

MediaLuna_26-SP.JPG

The entire park is sprinkled with springs, some thermal some cold, bubbling up from all around.

MediaLuna_29-SP.JPG

A nearby spring, not as popular and in a more natural state.

MediaLuna_30-SP.JPG

Driving through open, arid brushland, one must simply keep an eye out for the towering cypress trees to know where water can be found.

MediaLuna_31-SP.JPG

The pureness and clarity of the water is just astounding!

MediaLuna_32-SP.JPG

All the spring systems were lined with lilypads.

MediaLuna_33-SP.JPG

The veined structures of the lilypad hold oxygen, which allows the lily to float in the water colomn.

MediaLuna_34-SP.JPG

Not a great shot, but one of my favorite encounters... snorkeling with a Least Grebe!

MediaLuna_35-SP.JPG

Another lovely little fish, though introduced from other Mexican waterways, the Short-finned Molly (Poecilia mexicana).

MediaLuna_36-SP.JPG

Barton's Cichlid (Cichlasoma bartoni) is another striking species endemic to the Rioverde Valley.

MediaLuna_37-SP.JPG

Baby Barton's foraging under the watchful eye of their parents.

MediaLuna_38-SP.JPG

Male Barton's Cichlid.

MediaLuna_39-SP.JPG

One more pretty little endemic, the Bluetail Splitfin (Ataeniobius toweri).

MediaLuna_40-SP.JPG

Not endemic, but considered native, the furosious little Mexican Tetra (Astyanax mexicanus).

MediaLuna_41-SP.JPG

Freshwater Shrimp (Palaemonetes lindsayi), also endemic to Media Luna.

MediaLuna_42-SP.JPG

Another shrimp on a carnivorous plant--though the name excapes me...

MediaLuna_43-SP.JPG

The endemic Media Luna Crayfish (Procambarus roberu) was a fun critter to find during our night dives.

MediaLuna_44-SP.JPG

Less fun to find were the introduced Australian Redclaw Crayfish... which have escaped from careless aquaculture projects throughout North America.

MediaLuna_45-SP.JPG

The Red-eared Sliders were very shy, I guess people try to catch them.

MediaLuna_46-SP.JPG

The Mexican Mud Turtles on the other hand seemed not to mind me so much.

MediaLuna_47-SP.JPG

I had fun watching this Mexican Mud forage around on the bottom for a few minutes.

MediaLuna_48-SP.JPG

Such a beautiful place!

Great report. I've been there 5 times and will go back some day. Did you get a chance to do a night dive? Ossiel also offers a day trip to Puente del Dios, about an hour east that allows you to dive in a cooler river and behind waterfalls.

Yeah, we did two night dives. The first one, the kids were curious and waited around watching us take pictures and swim around with our lights. So they helped us haul all our gear back to our cars. The second one though was Christmas Eve and everyone took off early. So we got the fun task of hauling four tanks and all our dive/camera equipment back up the hill to our cars. That is a really long walk... That aside, night dives were a lot of fun and we had the whole place all to ourselves. Ossiel did offer to take us to Puente del Dios and some of the surrounding dive sites but we were wanting to focus on photographing what endemic species we could in Media Luna. I tend to be pretty focused on these trips. I'd love to go back though!

Fascinating and entertaining report! I had no idea there was anything like this so far inland.

Fascinating and entertaining report! I had no idea there was anything like this so far inland.

Thank you and neither did I! Especially not a deep, thermal pool up in mountains (3,000 feet). Since I've been looking all over Mexico to see if there is anything else out there comparable and it seems the closest match would be here in Texas, at the headwaters of the San Marcos River in Spring Lake.

I was in Spring Lake last weekend. Viz was clear and it was nice but topside weather sucked. 35 degrees and raining.

There is a beautiful place in northern Mexico called Cuatro Cienegas that I would love to scuba dive but I believe it is a protected biosphere area and you would need permits.

I was in Spring Lake last weekend. Viz was clear and it was nice but topside weather sucked. 35 degrees and raining.

There is a beautiful place in northern Mexico called Cuatro Cienegas that I would love to scuba dive but I believe it is a protected biosphere area and you would need permits.

I've dove the San Marcos several times, but I've been meaning to head up and take the Scientific Diving course with TSU ever since they reopened it this past fall... Maybe in April! I've also looked into Cuatro Cienegas but it seems like the diving is restricted to only a couple of places (like Mezquites River). Most of holes seem to protected and off limits, which is probably not a bad thing. Still, I'd love to go sometime and dive where ever they let me. I love seeing and photographing the endemic species found in these wonderful little ecosystems.

Maybe you could get a research permit.

Hi Seth,

I went on a trip with my LDS a couple years ago. One of the most beautiful parts of Mexico that I have seen.

Couple of comments, first I have never seen a more perfect place for classes. The temp is very good, the vis is tremendous, you have enough depth, lots to look at, and it's tough to get lost. One thing that I noticed, and it shows in your photos, is that it seems like God snapped a chalk line and said, 'No plants deeper than this'. The other is that the whole area is still an active caldera.

thanks for the report and hopefully I will get to go back in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom