Stolen Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdcdivers

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Thought I will post this. In case anyone come across it
During our recent trip to Playa Del Carmen, we arranged a Cenote dive with Tank-Ha of Playa Del Carmen
Out of the 20+ members from our group, one entire mesh bag of equipments were conveniently lost.

It included a set of APEKS Sapphire 40th Year Limited Edition Regulators with Egress octo,
Serial Number 1577 for the Sapphire 1st and 2nd stage and 150200038 for the Egress octo.
These set of equipment was about 1 month old.

Together with the regulator, there was a GoPro Camera, a Suunto Zoop computer, Aqua Lung Hydroflex wetsuit, Medium, mask, Fins snorkels, Titanium knife, Princeton Tech Genesis Light etc etc.

Police refused to issue report on stolen equipments for tourist, we were referred to Ministry of Tourism and eventually got the written report.

We do not expect to see the equipments again. However, We also do not believe too many divers will own a Sapphire Limited Edition.
We felt obligated to post this so that everyone will know just in case the thief is blatant enough to use the equipment openly

Sorry to hear that.

Will your homeowners insurance cover the loss, being you were out of the country?

PH

I hope you had some insurance coverage. So did the insurance pay ok? Ever hear anything on the theft or goods? I've wondered about thievery around cenote parking lots, but I guess it can happen anywhere.

Which cenote was it? Parking areas with some cenotes like Dreamgate and Angelita are quite out of the way and it is fairly easy to steal something when folk are out diving. But I wonder how an entire bag full of kit went missing? It mist have been after a dive or while waiting for one. The thieves must have been quite blatant to make off with a whole bag but I suppose in those areas it is quite common to see someone carrying a mesh bag full of dive gear.

I am really sorry that this happened. I hope that you get a full insurance payout and the thieves get caught.

Also interested if you had trip insurance that covered loss or if you have some other insurance to do the same?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom