Sharks mating...Socorro on Rocio Del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleNat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from a fabulous trip with the Rocio Del Mar. My second time on this liveaboard (first time 2 years ago for Midriff Islands) and it was even better this time. The rooms have their own bathrooms & showers, the beds are comfortable, the crew is amazing and the food is delicious! The guys on the crew do everything with a smile, and are so friendly & helpful. Within 24 hours, they knew all our names and quickly learned all our "quirks." They kept a close watch as we geared up, to make sure everyone had everything we needed. The panga drivers were always right there when we surfaced. And the dive guides (at least mine, Gil) was fantastic, pointing out so many things. Wish I had his eyesight. He spotted things so much earlier than we all did!

The diving was unbelievable. We saw white tip sharks mating!! Since this is so rare, most of us thought we were seeing some sort of death battle. It started with a school of about 30 sharks swimming around, progressed to one shark biting another shark & dragging it to the bottom, and then turned into a frenzy. Luckily a few divers had heard of this and/or seen documentaries, so they filled us in on what we were seeing. The photos & videos are amazing. We feel incredibly lucky to have encountered this bit of nature.

We also saw whale sharks! It's the beginning of the season, so we weren't expecting to see them. It was a treat. Lots of giant mantas...after all the build-up I was worried it wouldn't live up to my expectations but it exceeded them. It was like flying with alien spacecraft. So many turned up at once, and they hung around for our entire dives, swooping and gliding above & below us. We also had a great dive with a pod of dolphins that came to play. And we even saw a few of the elusive hammerheads. I think we saw everything anyone wanted to see....octopus, eels, schools of fish, turtles, wahoo, etc. The only thing someone mentioned, that we didn't see, was a tiger shark. Well, guess we'll have to go back!

Glad you had a great trip on the Rocio Del Mar (not surprising!). When you saw the white tips mating, did the males drive the females into the bottom headfirst using their hold on her fin? I've never seen them mate myself but am told that is how they do "it." Curious.

When you saw the white tips mating, did the males drive the females into the bottom headfirst using their hold on her fin? I've never seen them mate myself but am told that is how they do "it." Curious.

Yes, it was exactly like that!! That's why we thought we were watching a shark "murder!"

I'm attempting to attach some photos. A little grainy but they were about 100ft down, and I didn't want to get too close...

image.jpg

Sweet! At which site did you see these sharks mating?
I just got back last night from the Socorro Islands on the Nautilus Belle Amie. First time on this great boat, funtastic crew. First time to Socorro. Awesome diving.
And I agree the Rocio Del Mar is also awesome, did the Sea of Cortez trip with them Aug 2012. Were Dora and Lolo aboard?

Sweet! At which site did you see these sharks mating?
I just got back last night from the Socorro Islands on the Nautilus Belle Amie. First time on this great boat, funtastic crew. First time to Socorro. Awesome diving.
And I agree the Rocio Del Mar is also awesome, did the Sea of Cortez trip with them Aug 2012. Were Dora and Lolo aboard?

We were at The Boiler on our second to last dive of the week. Truly amazing. Dora saw us off and greeting us upon return but didn't go on the trip. Lolo wasn't on board.
But Rey (who was our DM on our Sea of Cortez trip in 2012) was the Captain!

I was on that same trip as Dave (kcmayes, he was my buddy) and LittleNat but went to Bonaire afterwards and so got back home to the UK literally a few hours ago. I echo their sentiments that it was a great trip in every way - nice boat, good food, brilliant crew and fantastic diving. Particular mention to the crew because every so often on liveaboard trips, we think of the divemasters and perhaps the chef while talking about the crew. While those were excellent, I also want to mention the other boat crew who strived hard, often under choppy conditions, to make our trip memorable. A special mention to the Captain himself, who was friendly, helpful and always around making decisions based on guest preferences while maintaining required safety standards. A++++++ and then some.

We saw and danced with the manta rays, some 20 feet across; played with a whale shark; saw a ferocious mating session (that would have taught Marqis de Sade a thing or two) between 2 while-tips while some 30 other sharks swarmed around; saw quite a few hammerheads although not very close and even glimpsed several dolphins at Roca Partida. There were quite a few smaller fish around too.

I need a few days to settle down at home and hopefully will get the photos ready by this weekend and post them.

Back
Top Bottom