Mexico for a week- Cant decide where do dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michshlomo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I read so many posts but still can't fint the answer, so any help would be very much aprecciated.

My husband and I are experienced divers (in our 30's). We will land in Cancun and stay in Mexico for a week, in late September.

We were debating between Cozumel, PDC and Isla Mucheres.
My questions are-

*which of the three is a good base for great reef dives and cenotes dives? We are looking for a place where we can stay in the same hotel for a week, don't want to travel between different locations.

* Do you have suggestions for a specific resort , but a mid- range backpacking type, with a great dive operation and a good vibe. Convenience is really importent- Diving out of the resort.

Thank you so much in Advance,
Michal

It's really a choice of what would you like to do more of, cenotes or reefs? The ferry to/from Cozumel isn't great to do every day, so if you only want to do the cenotes once, stay on Cozumel. PDC has ok reefs but Isla Mujeres is a bit of a drive from there. Lots of options for hotels, I usually stay at all includives with the family or with a friend in Tulum when solo.

So, unless you are set on lots of cenotes, Cozumel is a great place for great dives, food and accn's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd recommend going down to Puerto Aventuras. There are two all-inclusive resorts in the community, the Catalonia, and one of the Dreams locations. The Catalonia is not quite as plush, but is cheaper, and it's quite pleasant, although the food doesn't light my fire. There are several dive operators in the community -- we have run our trips through Dive Aventuras, and they will pick you up at the resort, and it's a two minute van ride to the dive shop. They'll also store your gear for your trip. You can do reef dives, which are quite good, or cenotes dives through them. We also had one of our students arrange a trip through Planet Scuba, and he was very pleased with their service.

Being on the mainland also makes it easy to visit Mayan ruins, if that appeals to you.

You could also stay in Akumal, which is a bit sleepier and a little less developed/touristy, but I wasn't very pleased with the reefs we dove on the one occasion that I dove from there. Tulum also has a lot of lodging options, including all-inclusives, but I don't know the dive operators down there at all.

I'd recommend going down to Puerto Aventuras. There are two all-inclusive resorts in the community, the Catalonia, and one of the Dreams locations. The Catalonia is not quite as plush, but is cheaper, and it's quite pleasant, although the food doesn't light my fire. There are several dive operators in the community -- we have run our trips through Dive Aventuras, and they will pick you up at the resort, and it's a two minute van ride to the dive shop. They'll also store your gear for your trip. You can do reef dives, which are quite good, or cenotes dives through them. We also had one of our students arrange a trip through Planet Scuba, and he was very pleased with their service.

Being on the mainland also makes it easy to visit Mayan ruins, if that appeals to you.

You could also stay in Akumal, which is a bit sleepier and a little less developed/touristy, but I wasn't very pleased with the reefs we dove on the one occasion that I dove from there. Tulum also has a lot of lodging options, including all-inclusives, but I don't know the dive operators down there at all.

Ditto on Puerto Aventuras. If you are committed to the mainland, then there is no better diver-based destination. We've stayed at the Catalonia a couple of times, but usually rent a condo. If you are into saving money, there are plenty of fully-equiped condos for rent, and a Chedraui Supermarket right across the highway from the front gate (you'll need a taxi, but it's $5 +/- each way). Plus, there is a farmer's market every Wednesday and Saturday inside the compound. If you are diving, you cannot do better than Dive Aventuras, for either off-shore or cenotes. A couple of great places to eat, including Massimo (Italian) and the Pub (general menu), plus we highly recommend Paparazzi Pizza for at least one evening, and Bamboo (in the "new" marina) for a great lunch.

PM me if you need more specific information.

You didn't mention Latitude 20, which has the best burger in PA, and great ceviche!

You didn't mention Latitude 20, which has the best burger in PA, and great ceviche!

Wife's a vegetarian, and their offerings are sparse to non-existent.

Thanks guys,
I have decided to dive in Cozumel,
now debateing between Blue Angel resort / Aldora...

Thanks guys,
I have decided to dive in Cozumel,
now debateing between Blue Angel resort / Aldora...

I stopped at Cozumel on a cruise last October. Aldora was highly recommended so we dove with them. They are not the cheapest, but they do offer the best value, IMO. Everyone gets steel tanks. Women get a smaller tank and men get a larger tank, the idea being that you can minimize weight, and they work hard to ensure that everyone enjoys a full hour long dive. They don't mind motoring to the better dive sites, that is all included too. Some of the less expensive operators just take you right out to the nearest reef and drop you in. Aldora tries to ensure that you enjoy your experience as much as possible. Our SI was done on a nearby beach and we were able to run over to a palapa and get some delicious lunch.

Adrienne suggested that we contact Megan Banka with Spotted Drum Expeditions for a trip to the Riviera Maya. We did that and just returned from a fabulous 3 week trip where we learned about coral assessments, measuring reef health, and water sampling. We also learned to hunt lionfish and eradicated a bunch from an area. This was a most amazing time for my daughter, 13, and I. Megan also runs programs out of the Playa/Coz area during the summer for high school students. We tagged along a bit on one of these, it was fabulous.

Anyway, during that time with Megan, we did end up back in Cozumel where we dove again with Aldora. They never cease to impress me. Just my 2 cents' worth, but planning to dive with them summer 2016.

Oh, and I second Peter (TSandM) on his suggestions for the Puerto Aventuras area. We stayed this trip in Akumal and in Tulum. Neither has great diving. Viz is terrible and I couldn't even find an operator to take us out in Tulum, everything focuses on cenotes in that area. We traveled down to PA with Peter and his group 2 years ago and that is what hooked me on the area to begin with, so it is all his fault! :)

Sarina

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom