Scorpion islands diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I work with a fella who dove the Scorpion islands North of Merida/ Progresso, and he highly reccomends it to me. Problem is I can't find any information out about diving there. I did a search for Progresso, and Merida, but all I get is cruise ship stuff and cozumel info. Does anyone know of a dive op close enough to launch a boat and go out there? also If anyone has info on affordable places to stay while we are there that's convienient for diving, that would be great!

Currently I know of no live aboards going to Alacrans (scorpion reef). You can't make it out in back as a day trip. Years ago I looked into getting a boat from Progresso and found a number of private boats who were willing to do the trip though you needed to provide your own compressor. Do a search for a dive shop in Merida or Progresso (not sure if there are any) and see what they suggest. Or go down to progresso and try and contract your own boat. Not easy and not sure what red tape the Mexican authorities will require to dive there. Sorry can't be more helpfull.

Its not a common trip and you will most likely need to get your hands on gear and hire transportation like a charter to get you there.... but from what I hear it is a great spot to dive. I have some friends that are dive instructors in the Cancun area and in the late summer there have been whale shark sightings near there as well as some pretty big rays. Although they did mention the concern about overfishing near there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom