CSL: Trip Report - Sep. 1-6, 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MtnDiver

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well, spent the last six days in Cabo at the Westin Resort.

Didn't get to dive once during that time thanks to good 'ol Hurricane Howard churning himself off the tip of Baja. Waves were too high, vis. was crappy, and the CSL Marina was closed on all available dive days for me.

Couldn't even get any snorkelling in because the beach at the Westin was black flagged all the days we were there. Oh well, at least I didn't have to pay for it. :D (my company sends all employees and spouses on an all-expenses paid trip every year). Can't complain about spending almost a week at a 5-star hotel on the company tab!

Anyway, to kind of reiterate on what others have said, the Westin is very nice. It is located about 18km east of downtown CSL and about 4-5km west of San Jose del Cabo. There is a shuttle available into both towns which runs $11 round-trip and runs once an hour. (Hint: If you sit through the 90 minute Club Regina presentation, they will give you free shuttle service the entire time you are there + $100 towards your room bill (or a single activity of your choice)).

The food and drinks at the Westin are pretty expensive, although with our room package we had a free breakfast buffet and free hours d'ouvres and drinks every day from 5-7. Not sure if all packages contain those perks, but ours did. (Another hint: You can walk over to the "Deli" on the Club Regina side, actually a little convienence-type store and get cheaper beer and water and such).

I have to say, however, that although on the high end price-wise, the food at the Westin was excellent!

We had booked our dives through Underwater Diversions. They are located on the marina in downtown CSL. They seemed like a very pleasant group, wish we could have dove with them. They promised that we would get our deposit for our group back, will let you know how that goes. They did point us in the right direction (just a couple of doors down) for some cheap but good drinks/food.

This was my first time to Los Cabos and I hope to make it back someday to actually dive next time (guess I'll have to book my own trip, not during hurricane season). :-D

I know several of you are headed that way in the next month or so, hopefully you will have better weather than I did. I'll be happy to answer any questions that any of you have.

I'll post some pictures in the next few days, too bad they're all from above water...

Hi MtnDiver:

Well, I was looking forward to some great info on diving in CSL, as I'm heading that way Nov 11-15. Sorry the diving portion of your trip didn't work out... I'll give you a trip report when I return. I'm going to do just 1 day of diving, as my wife doesn't dive. I hope to get in 3-4 dives, however, so I'll let you know how it goes!!! If you ever do any (reasonably) local dives (I'm in the Springs also) and need a dive buddy, let me know.

I was in San Carlos over the weekend and also got the effects of Hurricane Howard. It rained and stormed all weekend. Thankfully, we were far enough north that we could still dive, but the visibility dropped to 15 feet.

In spite of the weather it was still decent diving.

Bumber,
Sorry to hear that you couldn't dive, but at least you got away for some R&R.
I'm counting down the days 'til my trip, and keeping my fingers crossed for some non-hurricane weather. So the Regina was nice hey? Can't wait! Did you check out the timeshare rooms?
And about logging your pool sessions, why not, it is proof of commitment and practice.

dlndavid:
Bumber,
So the Regina was nice hey? Can't wait!

The Westin was very nice. We had a top floor room with an awesome view of the water. Nothing like hearing waves crashing on the beach to make for an awesome night's sleep.

dlndavid:
Bumber,
Did you check out the timeshare rooms?

Yeah, we figured, "what the heck". Spent 90 minutes during a rain storm getting the grand tour and sales pitch. Wasn't really any pressure to buy. About 90 minutes in, the sales manager came over and said "you aren't really interested, are you?" and we said "no", and he said "thanks for your time, here's your voucher for your free gifts, thanks for stopping by...".

The timeshare deal is really not bad for a timeshare, but as long as my company is handing out the free trips once a year, doesn't really make sense for us. The rooms on the timeshare side are very nice, more like little apartments or condos. They have a very private feel to them because of the layout.

(Edit: I have posted a few pictures in my gallery taken during the trip. You can see them here .)

Thanks for the info. I think the Westin was getting complaints on the "hard sell" approach and have backed off. Also they are pretty much sold out, they have to add more properties to sell more, and more properties is good for me (Club Regina member).
My wife and I have been extremely happy with all the Regina properties

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom