Trip report: Los Cabos 9-29-2004 thru 10-6-2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid

私は寿司およびアジア女性を食べるã
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Los Cabos at the Club Regina, Westin
20 Minutes from Cabo San Lucas and 10 minutes from San Jose del Cabo
Trip date: 9/29/2004 thru 10/6/2004
Dive Operator: Amigos del Mar CSL

1 of 6 dives, Sat Oct. 2nd
My Dive #7 Pelican Rock, near El Arco, Lovers Beach
Depth: 87 ft
Time: 44 min.
Water temp: 80 deg F
Visibility: 60+ ft
Boat: Trimaran
Saw a few reef sharks on the bottom, various fish (not a whole lot), a few lobsters in crevices. Relaxing dive, good beginning. Used 3 mil full suit.

2 of 6 dives, Sat Oct. 2nd
My Dive #8 Neptune’s Finger, near El Arco, Lovers Beach
Depth: 73 ft
Time: 43 min.
Boat: Trimaran
Saw 2 White Tip Sharks, very close, very curious, one large ray.

3 of 6 dives, Mon Oct. 4th
My Dive #9 Blow Hole, near Chileno Beach
Depth: 79 ft
Time: 36 min.
Water temp: 81 deg F
Boat: 6 diver panga
Very beautiful underwater scenery. Did my 1st swim through, really fun.

4 of 6 dives, Mon Oct. 4th
My Dive #10 Twin Dolphins, near Chileno Beach
Depth: 65 ft
Time: 47 min.
Water temp: 81 deg F
Very beautiful underwater scenery, with fans corals and sponges. Saw my 1st lobster walking about in the open, cool!

5 of 6 dives, Tues Oct. 5th
My Dive #11 Gordo Banks, 1 ½ hour boat ride from CSL marina
Depth: 105 ft
Time: 36 min.
Water temp: 77 deg F
Visibility: 80+ ft
Gordo Banks is an underwater mountain with the peak 110 ft below the surface.
We anchored, ascended on the line to depth. Stayed at depth for 10 min, then to 60 ft for another 10 min. Lots of schooling Jack and Tuna. Very exciting dive, and my deepest to date. After surfacing we had lunch while doing our 1 ½ hour SI.

6 of 6 dives, Tues Oct. 5th
My Dive #12 Gordo Banks
Depth: 101 ft
Time: 45 min.
Visibility: 80+ ft
Still looking for Hammer Head Sharks or large Mantas, but no luck. Saw a Sea Lion quite surprisingly, as he was 8 miles from the nearest rookery. He was an excellent swimmer, and man could he hold his breath. There were lots of small jelly fish around, which I avoided. But after surfacing I got a pimple like rash on one shoulder. I think it may be the Jellyfish larva as discussed on another thread.

All and all it was great diving, Amigos del Mar were very friendly and very safe.
The stay at the Westin Club Regina was fabulous, can’t wait to go back, as I didn’t get a chance to dive Cabo Pulma, they were diving there the day we were leaving.

Great report! Did you take any photos?

We're going to Cabo again next May (water will likely be colder). My wife's turn to get her OW certification.

Thanks for the report. I need an escape from storms and my beloved Caymans are out for a while. I was surprised at the water temperature? I thought it would be colder? Were there anyone wearing shorties?

I can't view the pics, Yahoo says the page is inaccessable. Could you post them in some other place? I am tring to get my spouse to go diving down there, but she has some perception that the diving suxs down there. I am hoping your pics might convince her differently.

jkennedy:
Thanks for the report. I need an escape from storms and my beloved Caymans are out for a while. I was surprised at the water temperature? I thought it would be colder? Were there anyone wearing shorties?

Yah, many others were wearing shorties. I brought mine, but trying to avoid Jellyfish stings, as I heard of others getting stung. The water temp and vis at this time of the year is the best, that's why I chose this time. Plus it's off peak. One of the guys I diving with us was there because the dive location/shop he had planned in the caymans was literaly gone.

diverrick:
I can't view the pics, Yahoo says the page is inaccessable. Could you post them in some other place? I am tring to get my spouse to go diving down there, but she has some perception that the diving suxs down there. I am hoping your pics might convince her differently.

The diving is different than like Cancun or Cozumel, but I thought it was fantastic.
I almost didn't do the Gordo Banks dive, but was glad I did.
I reset the setting on my pictures, you should be able to view them now (the setting was private, changed to public).

David

Cabo water temps swing with the season. June-October can be quite warm; November-May will be cooler. They also depend greatly on where you are; even in September (warm water), if you dive where the Pacific currents come in, expect to be cooler!

Reflecting on these diving experiences, I feel like a diver. The memories, those of diving, being underwater, being aware, being smart, being safe, taking in all the sights. You just have to love it. I know I will be in waters so beautiful again, but 'till then I will just keep the memories of diving alive by reflecting upon this new love. DIVING!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom