Where to dive in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doll_fins

Reaction score
I'm a new diver that just got OW certified and am planning a trip in the late fall with other newbies. We're thinking Mexico and everyone we mention it to says "GO TO COZUMEL" - even those who have never been there!

What's the real scoop :confused: Where is a good place to go (not too expensive!) for good diving for beginners?

Doll-fins,
First,welcome to the board, from NJ, and congratulations on the OW!
The folks you have talked to have it right -Cozumel is a terrific place to dive-and not very expensive. In fact, compared to some of the other major dive locations, it is cheap!. I have been there three times-and I love it. There are other folks on this board who share that opinion-but I'm pretty sure that they will let you know.

A few comments regarding the diving:
First: many dives are drift dives, which require the typical attention to buoyancy skills.
Second: many of the dives are boat dives which, in my opinion, makes things easier.
Third: the vis is super!
Finally: On each of my trips to Cozumel, I have seen new divers do quite well.
I think if you are looking to dive in Mexico, that Coz is the place.
Let us know what you decide.
Good luck, and enjoy the board.
MikeD

Can you say COZUMEL????
Cozumel is not just the best diving in Mexico, it is some of the premier diving in the world. Newbies to advanced, shore or boat, you can do it there! click link below to give you a good look at everything you want to know about Cozumel.
I have been there twice and absolutely loved it.:)

http://www.cozumel.travelnotes.cc/cgi-local/index.cgi

Unfortunatly, they're right and from Washington that's expensive. You might consider Los Cabos or La Paz or San Carlos. Usually cheaper and you are early enough in your new hobby that you should enjoy it. If money is no object, Cozumel. The airfare is the problem , so shop hard.

adios don O

As far as Mexico is concerned Cozumel is the Mecca. You didn't say when you’re going but there are often very good package deals there. You might check out the PADI travel net work at www.padi.com or e-mail their travel network at ptn1@padi.com
A couple of things to know before booking a flight there is Hurricane/rainy season is from September through November and tourist high season (worst prices) are from December 26th to the middle of April.
I have gone to both Cancun and Cozumel and find it to be a very good time to travel there. They have cleaned up geared up and prepared for the high season but doesn’t yet have the crowds. The only draw back to that time is the water temperature is at its coldest, you might want a light wet suite.

I found that San Carlos is a often over looked place to dive and for a beginner is a Fantastic place. A Shop here in Arizona regularly takes monthy trips for 424 all inclusive and yes Cozumel is just as fantastic but more expensive

I have read a couple of articles on San Carlos recently and the Dive master I just dove with in Puerto Vallarta used to operate out of there and he too really liked it there. I've also heard a lot of divers in Arizona drive down there for weekend get a ways. I thought maybe the weather there this time of year may be a little cooler than I wanted.
What would you recommend as the best times to go for both price and diving?

Wheres the best place to hook up on a budget. I would like to try it out.
Any help here Don O?

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom