Cave of the Sleeping Sharks - are there still really sharks there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shoc369

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are still sharks in The Cave of the Sleeping Sharks in Isla Mujeres? Delta Vacations website says that there are really no sharks left to see as they have all been chased away by divers trying to touch them. Is that true? I want to dive there on our trip in May but not if there are no sharks to see. Thanks.

I have been to Isla several times now and from what I understand there are sharks there some times but not all of the time. Contact Coral Scuba or whoever you are diving with when you get to the island and ask some of the guy's about it, they are very honest.

There weren't any in '97. I was told they were killed or scared away by spear fishermen.

TTBOMK there have not been sharks in the cave for the better part of 20 years.
Its more a tourist scam as Isla is not a great Dive location to say the least.

I agree with Divecoz. You would be better served staying in Cancun and diving on Manchones, just off Garrafon. You have much more flexibility.

I would recommend contacting Ben at benrmooney@mayanaquadive.com. His op offers the gamut of reef, drift, wreck and if you are adventurous and qualified, cenotes. Check out his website for packages. Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives&PADI Courses

Unless you want a nice, quiet, low stress vacation, then Isla Mujeres is for you. If you are looking for diving and other options, then Cancun is the better option.

Dive safe!

Jack

The cave of sleeping sharks was a water phenomenon, it is a fairly small coral cavern, open one side, on the other there was a small opening not enough to swim through but enough for water from currents to flow at a certain speed, as we know sharks do not sleep they do not have flotation bladders so they have to keep moving at all times, so water can come in their gills, at this cave the flow allowed the water to pass through their gills with no swimming effort. I have visited this dive site in the past and got to see some but not a lot of them. A few years ago to date, the currents, water movements, storms, have allowed sand to rise not permiting the water flow with as much speed as before. There are not much sharks here due to the warm waters and shallow reefs (50ft). Like Ben mentions we do get to see nurse sharks, from babies to bigger ones.
Hope this info was helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom