PDC, Akumal, or Puerto Morelos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dfish

Reaction score
I will be in the Mayan Riviera in a couple of days. Which area has the best ocean dive sites? I will probably have time to dive to only dive in one place. I'll be staying close to Akumal but could get to any location.

Tough call. There is good diving up and down the coast. If you are staying close to Akumal, dive in Akumal or Casa Cenote or Puerto Aventuras. It would be a real shame if you didn't try a day of Cenote dives.

There are some very nice reef sites within a 5-10 minute boat ride off Akumal (and 3 shops to choose from). A few of my personal favs are Gorgonian, Tortugas, The Nets, Yalku Norte, Half Moon, Miramar, The Churches... ok, that was more then a few.

And, absolutely take the oportunity to dive at least one cenote. I like to do that on our last day (a great fresh water gear rinse and a cool dive), if not more then one day.

Exactly where are you staying? In Akumal or at a AI in the area?

Thanks for the responses; we're staying at the el dorado seaside suites; they don't seem to have their own dive operation.

Not 100% sure, but I think you're going to be closer to Puerto Aventuras then to Akumal. The shop in Aventuras is Dive Aventuras www.diveaventuras.com. You should check with the resort though about SCUBA. They do list trips, rentals and certification as part of the non-included activities. And they do daily pool lessons so they've got to be affiliated with a shop or have one on-site.

I dive with a shop on Half Moon Bay in Akumal, but that won't be very convenient for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom