Zebra Mussels for Dinner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I'm pretty adventurous with food, can't say I've tried zebra mussels. What do you say we boil it with onion and ginger for taste then throw it on the grill over beer.

Dan

I'm a big fan of mussels (moules) but from waters where they don't accumulate nasty things...
I hear the Zebra mussels are largely responsible for the removal of lots of polutants - I'd be a bit skeptical eatin' 'em 'til I had a few samples run through a lab & checked for nasties like dioxins & such.
Rick

I thought it sounded pretty nasty if they are really planning to eat them...I mean I know they are worried about the zebra population, but aren't there other options than eating them?

Is that why they call us Mid-Atlantic bottom feeders?
Dunno...I don't think I am eating them...Divernva might...I suppose I would if you brought lots of beer..

My mom used to make a Chinese dish with small clams. The mussels are a little different, and probably don't have a lot to them. But, hey, anything is better with a little soy sauce, right?

Ken

Let us know more! We've got more than a few of 'em up here. Wonder if they're tolerable? Don't think you could grill 'em, though. Damned things would keep falling through and landing on the charcoal.

1. With a paint scraper, chisel, or somebody else's dive knife, scrape zebra mussels off the rocks of your favorite quarry, the bottom of your boat, or from the inside of a ballast tank from an overseas commercial freighter.

2. During the next surface interval, age the zebra mussels under the seat of your dive buddy's car . While he's not looking, for best effect.

3. Go out and buy bagels from a bagel store, a turkey (fresh if possible), tomatoes, onions, sharp cheddar cheese, and hot mustard. Roast the turkey for 6 - 8 hours, and slice breast meat. Slice the onions and tomato, toast the bagel, spread mustard, and melt the cheese over the still-warm turkey. Combine into the best sandwich you ever had. Eat with coffee or beer; repeat as desired.

Back
Top Bottom