Can you dive the Rappahannock River ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imukdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hopefully somebody can answer this. Is it possible to dive in the Rappahannock river around Fredricksburg ? My buddy and I are looking to dive that area and can't find any info on wehter it's even legal or not. Anybody have any answers ? Plus if you can dive it, what are the conditions like ? Thanks :D

My buddy and I are thinking of diving the Rappahannock river, around Fredericksburg. First and foremost is it even legal to dive that area ? Plus if you can what are the conditions like ? Any info would be much appreciated and Thanks. :D

Hey does anybody know if you can dive the Rappahannock river in and round Fredericksburg Virginia ? If so what are the conditions like ? Yeah I've posted this elsewhere if you think you seen it before. :D Thanks any info would be appreciated.

I have been snorkeling around Fredericksburg, but the Rappohanock is only a couple yards deep, and can get really silty, there is a quarry right near Brag Hill that is a little over 40 feet deep and has a reputation for being dark, and having a Mayonnaise bottom. The one dive shop in town does its open water diving a couple hours south at Lake Rawlings. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. We are looking to go digging for stuff. Is there a current ? How is the boat traffic ?

Current right now is raging, mostly whitewater right around town, especially with all the recent rain, Boat traffic is really light below the rapids, mostly canoes and kayaks cause the river is so shallow with silt since they blew up the dam a couple years ago. I know how historic the area is, but the Rappahannock is no easy lazy river, and there is so much silt I cant imagine how far down you would have to dig to get to any artifacts. Not trying to rain on your parade, but you have picked a nasty river to mess with, it eats several people a year, something like 90 people in the last 40 years. Its great for whitewater fun, but definitely show it some respect.

Thank you very much !!! I don't mind a little rain on my parade. Sounds like it's a bit much for a few mini-balls and a broken bottle or two. I appreciate the info, now where to go to do some digging...........

I'm not sure about man made artifacts, but there are fossils and sharks teeth in the Chesapeake and Potomac. Not real well known dive spots because the water around here is very muddy and silty, but not unheard of. The most poplar places to find em seem to be on the beach after storms.

Good luck with whatever trouble you decide to look into, I'm planning on a Lake Rawlings trip soon myself.

I live in Fredericksburg, and the Rappahannock offers a FREE and easily accessible place to get wet when the itch just needs to be scratched. A great spot is a 6'-10' deep "pool" close to Clore Brothers Outfitters off of River Road. There are other such pools, but I couldn't tell you precisely where they are. The strong currents offer an awesome workout, and the river fauna and flora are interesting. I'm looking forward to using a metal detector to see if I can find any artifacts worth keeping. The only major dive challenge is timing. Plan your dive during a period of minimal to no rain for several successive days. Otherwise the viz will be nil.

I think any navigable and/or public waterway would be legal. Rivers are considered public (Although, some dipute this, but only one I've heard of and it's a section of river running through private property up in the mountains.)

Above the fall line, right Around HWY1, there will always be flow from the river. Below the fall line, you get river flow and tides to contend with (probably very minimal closer to the fall line you go.)

I would be interested to hear a trip report and see some pictures if you go. I'm always looking for interesting places to dive, and this might be worth it when I go back and visit my family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom