Dive Report for Key Largo, FL (Molasses Reef) 3/22/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pairizarry

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I drove down from Orlando in the morning for an afternoon trip to Molasses Reef with Ocean Divers. I was a little hungry so I had some lunch (bad idea). It was about 82 degrees and party cloudy. We had a total of 29 divers on the boat for the afternoon trip. As soon as we got to open water you can tell we were going to be rocking and rolling on the boat. When we stopped the waves were just pushing the boat almost on its side. You definitely had to hang on to something in order to walk safely. Once in the water there was no relief to the wave action until you were hugging the sand. You could’ve easily done a drift dive since you were being pushed around. I did just float around a bit and watched the fish swaying with me. I got to see plenty of the reef since my dive buddy was very familiar with the reef and his navigation. In the first dive site we saw a turtle, a green eel, barracudas, and typical reef fish. On the second site we saw a turtle, barracudas and typical reef fish. During the SI, I felt seasick but managed to compose myself and do the second. Upon returning from my second dive, I lost my lunch as soon as I stepped onto the boat platform. Although I didn’t enjoy it, the fish seemed pleased.
1st Dive (34 ft, 44 min, 74 degrees); 2nd dive (33 ft, 52 min, 74 degrees)

Sounds like there was a pretty good surge while you were down there. Sorry about you getting sick, but sometimes that comes with the diving. I've been lucky myself in that I don't normally get sea sick. Thanks for the reports.

pairizarry,
thanks for the report.
how long did the drive down take?
molasses is a good place to blow tanks.
are you planning to do the grove?

I did my first salt water dive on Molasses.

It felt like the surge would move us 6 to 8 feet in each direction.

Still an excellent dive location.

DD

smokey braden:
pairizarry,
thanks for the report.
how long did the drive down take?
molasses is a good place to blow tanks.
are you planning to do the grove?

Smokey,

I would say it would take approximately 18 hrs to drive from Northern VA to Key Largo. It is about 1130 miles from here. My family lives in Orlando, so it was only a 4-5 hr drive from there.

Pedro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom