Which lake is better diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The family is planning our next vacation. Looking at either Table Rock MO, or Beaver AR.

If you have dived either one or both, what are your opinions on the lake and why. I will be bringing the dive boat, so location access isn't an issue.

FD

I guess this thread can be ignored. I found cowboys' post about the same topic.

FD

But can't I say something here too? I like Table Rock lake, done both and just like TR. No reason, vis is similar as are temps. I'd dive either, but TR is closer to me so I like it better.

I agree, having dove both multiple times I like Table Rock better and it is further from me! Conditions are similar, but I definitely like TR better.

The family has decided to go to TR for the July 4 holiday. I reserved a campsite at Indian point, knowing only that it was close to the damn. Now, if I have read correctly, I find that the Zebulon Pike is at Indian? I couldnt get lucky enough to have a great shore dive feet from my camp site could I? Either way, I am REALLY excited about diving TR next month.

FD

I was down at TR this weekend, or Saturday at least. The first time I have been there. I was diving with Mike from Aqua-FX out of his boat. We put in at Indian Point marina and zipped around the corner to an itty-bitty island. To our south east you could see the Dam across the lake. About two to three hundred yards (I am horrible at judging distance) west and slightly north you could see some divers doing a shore dive from what should be the back side (compared to where the marina is) of Indian Point. Looking on maps.google.com (http://maps.google.com/?t=h&om=1&ll=36.624414,-93.336561&spn=0.01295,0.02871) it looks like the road is Tablerock Circle. there is a little tip of that road going to a beach at it's most easterly point. It sort of points at the island we where on. If you are camped at Indian point you should be able to do a shore dive rite there. To get to the dam you would have to go north a very little bit to get around the cove (I am never sure if I am using aquatic terms correctly, perhaps channel but that makes less sense) made by Indian point.

We dove some cabin cruiser that was down at fifty feet, I don't know if it has a name, believe it or not I didn't think to look. If you are on the island with the dam on your left take a heading of 210 degrees and down around 15-20 feet you will find a yellow rope tied to a stump. (It ain't that hard to find. I found it and that was my first dive after getting my certificate) you can follow it down to the bow of the boat at about 50' and the stern is down further at 60'. I am not sure how long it is but it seemed to me it must be twenty five to thirty foot. As I could see it from bow to stern visibility must have been 30+' down there. visibility above the thermocline was considerably less. The thermocline was right at 17'. Water temp at the surface was in the eighties and at 58' it was 63. I am not sure that I would try to swim to the island from the shore site though. I am sure it can be done and some of the persons I was diving with have commented on people doing it but I haven't got enough experience to try it.

Indian Point is definitely across that little section of the lake from the Dam and I don't know where the Zebulon Pike is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom