Tenkiller underwater town map

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whitelightnin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm looking for a map of the town that is covered by lake Tenkiller. Can anyone point me to one? Even GPS coordinates for buildings would help, if anyone has any marked.

Thanks
James

What's the name of the town? The US govt. has a repository on all town locations covered by water, including the lat/long of the town.

Plat maps can be found in the county it resides in, sometimes at the park facility if it's big enough. The engineers sometimes keep them to show tourists.

Post back and I'll see if I can dig anything up from my end here.

Just found the name. It is Cookson. Most of the town was moved but some of it couldn't be moved & was left.
James

I don't there is an existing "town" under lake Tenkiller. I dive there quite a bit. The old town of Cookson is underwater, but no buildings are left. IIRC it's only foundations left. This is also about 10 miles north of the dam (upstream) as the vis here is usually much worse than the typical dive spots here.

With all that said, I have head there is a rock/masonry jail still standing unwater somewhere.

Comrade Stroke

You can get a fishing map of the lake. I bought one last time I was there at Nautical Adventures in Cookson for about $7. It's a super big 6 page map with full topographic lines and all the old roads, culverts, bridges , houses and schools ect. It's on that waterproof Tryvek style material too so you can get it wet :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom