Quarry Diving ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadawg

Contributor
Reaction score
I live in central missouri and lately have heard from some of the locals around here that there are a couple quarries around here that would be perfect for diving, But the funny thing is that cannot find any information on any of the places that they haved mentioned. Here is a small list of the places i have been informed about . If you have heard anything or know of any more please let me know.

Blackwater quarry (near I-70 around Columbia)
Buffalo, Missouri (outskirts of town east on Hwy 32)

And a Coal powered electric plant that has a lake adjacent to it that has a temp of 70 degrees in the winter??? (up towards to St.Louis)

Scubaddawg:confused:

If you are in Central Missouri you are probable looking for Captain John's Blue Water Park in Ornogo Missouri. It is just a couple of miles north of Web City and Joplin. If you want to send me a PM I can give you directions and a map of the quarry via e-mail

Hallmac

I live in the St. Louis area and are familiar with a couple of quarries/state parks that are diveable.

Quail run quarry in Rolla, MO. - 25 ft. with 8 - 15 ft. vis
Bonne Terre mine
st. joe state park
johnson's shut-ins state park - Was just there recently and the water is way down.
I have heard of blackwater from local dive shop in Columbia, Mo. He told me it was very cold and is a good summer dive.

Hey guys,
If you're refering to wild cliff in blackwater it's been closed down. Insurance problems I think. I'm from that area and sadly have never had the oppertunity to dive it. Doesn't look like I will.
Sorry for the bad news.
God bless,
Stitch

HEEEEYYYYYYYY SCUBADAWG.....

HOW ABOUT LEARNING TO SWIM PROPERLY BEFORE THINKING OF SUBMERGING YOURSELF !!!!!

YOUR BROTHER IN LAW FROM YOUR HOME-TOWN :) :) :)

Captain John's www.oronogo.com

Also there is an electricty plant outside of Gentry, Arkansas that is a warm water later. I dove it several times last year during the winter and it was always in the mid 70's, not the greatest visibility but it works. From Joplin it's about a hour and a half trip.

They are closed in the winter unless you call ahead and let them know you will be diving, In the winter they also do not run the air compressor so if you decide to go there take the tanks you needs for the day.

Plenty of fish and things in the water to look at. I have found a few masks and snorkels in there that people have lost at the dock end of the quarry. I believe the max depth is 38-39 ft in a hole most of it 25 or so ft. That is where I learned to dive and went to often when I was Stationed at Ft Leonard Wood.

If you go take your chow and gear for the day, this quarry is on someones farm and there is no place on site to get drinks or chow if you get the munchies however Rolla is only a few miles away when you leave.

In the warmer weather, on the weekends it is always busy lots of folks go there to train students.

While I was there I also did some drift diving in the rivers, such as the Gasconade if the water is clear vis is decient fish are abundant and sometimes you can find some neat stuff, just drag a diver down flag with you cause bubba in the jet boat has no idea what a diver is and may think your a new kinda fish to snag.

Great info guys! I'm just getting back into diving, and looking for local or close places to get wet and blow bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom