Blue Pool in Alton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JAWISA1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone dove the Blue Pool which is located Just north of Alton on the River Road? I heard that years ago someone said that it was quite interesting. This was before the floods of the 90's.

I never heard of it. Is it a quarry, lake.....? Always interested in new places around St. Louis. Any info would be appreciated.

I am not sure if it is a quarry or a natural depression possibly from a colapsed cave. Check this image from google.

Google Maps

JAWISA1,
I am always looking for new dive sites in the area, so I did some research about this. Here is a quote from another forum about the Blue Pool.

"Mar 16, 2009
I went over there yesteday,, and hiked up to the falls and no it does not look like it did in 1966, the water is awful looking and you can still see the trees that were pushed in 25 years ago laying there rotting away. Prior to that the pool was beautiful. now its littered with barbed wire and signs warning everybody that it is dangerous to dive in etc.etc. what a shame."

The link to the site - Blue Pool - Topix

Too bad, could have been another site within an hour of STL.

Thats not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for link just the same.

I wonder what it would take to get it back to what it once was. Maybe remove the tree and other debris. Any interest?? This sounds like it was a great place years ago with crystal clear water. Perhaps the City of Alton would support our efforts.

I drove over to Alton to try to get a look at the Blue Pool, but all I saw was a chain link fence along the bike trail where I think the quarry is. There wasnt a parking lot within a 1/4 of a mile and I really didnt feel like making the walk (did 2 dives at New Melle this morning, so Im beat). Maybe Ill check it out better next weekend when I have more time and energy.

I sent an e-mail to the city of Alton and received the following response about the quarry.

"The “blue pool” is actually an abandoned rock quarry very close to the Mississippi River . It was always said to be bottomless. A few years ago it was drained and in fact is not very deep at all. The pool is do to leakage from the Mississippi . I believe the present owner is the State of Illinois . The property was originally owned by John Olin of Olin Corporation. He donated the house and land to the State of Illinois . The state of Illinois gave the property to Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville. They sold the house and it has been sold several times since. I believe the State of Illinois kept the land. The present owner is James Tomer, last known telephone number was 618-462-0312."

I may try to contact the present owner to get additional information. I will let everyone know what I find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom