Name these Bonaire Eels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Back from a recent Bonaire trip & working on a Blurb book of photos. Would like to get specific I.D.s on a lot of animals we photographed. In this thread, let's take a look at some moray eels.

1.)
IMG_0901001.jpg

2.) Tail of a spotted moray sticking out, right?
EdensRubble-Richard174001.jpg

3.) Sharp-tail eel, right? Any particular kind?
EdensRubble-Wallob097001.jpg

4.) Small spotted moray?
AndreaII-Richard105001.jpg

Thanks!

Richard.

the first photo is a chain moray. the rest you've got right. "Sharptail eel" IS the kind. They look different because they're conger eels, not morays.

kari

Second photo is either a white spotted moray, or a purple mouthed moray, but it's hard to tell from just a small segment of tail.

#3 is right.

#4 is a white spotted moray.

I don't think #1 is a chain moray... they have circular rings that are yellow and pronounced.

:) I've been a fish nerd since dive #2. I think it IS a chain moray. If you think it isn't, then what do you suggest it IS?

kari

If habitat preference is any help, let me give a little more info. on where that first eel was seen.

We stayed at Eden Beach Resort. It's got a wooden dock (pier, whatever you call it). My buddy Wallob & I went out at night to explore the water's edge along & near that. There's a large roughly flat rock across that region. Incoming waves wash over the rock & several inches onto the sand, then the rock's exposed as the waves recede.

3 Of these eels were crawling along on the shore-side of the rock. When the waves receded, the water trapped momentarily between rock & shore would drop enough that this guy was likely exposed at times. In fact, in that photo, you can see that the water level is at the bottom of that rocky lip; the eel is barely covered.

I'd estimate that eel to possibly be as much as 2 feet long, if that. The other 2 eels were smaller, but had the same appearance/patterning otherwise.

Richard.

P.S.: Another night out on that pier shining our flash lights we saw a small octopus. Greenish colored, although of course hard to distinctly make out through the water. We saw a large octopus by day diving Eden's Rubble, but it was in a hole so we basically saw an eye & spiracle.

Hopefully Susan is out there, she is excellent with IDs and has helped me on an occaision or 2...I have to concure with Karibelle...chain moray on the first one. look at the pattern...it is chain link, the lack of yellow may be due to depth or photography. I definitely thing chain...

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom