Damselfish ID's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishyJackson

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I haven't been able to get a definitive ID on either of these fish, hopefully you knowledgeable divers can help me. The fish in the first pic is from Key West, the fish in the 2nd pic is from Sarasota, Fl. I thought the pic in the first pic is a Longfin DAmselfish but I'm not so sure the fins are long enough. They look similar but I'm not sure if these are the same species, can anyone tell what these are based off the pics?

0671.jpg

Cropped_Damselfish.jpg

Looks like the vicious Dusky Damselfish.

Thanks for response T.C., I am thinking Dusky is mostly likely as well for both of these fish, as both do like they are the same species. However, it's puzzling that the anal and dorsal fins seem more pointed than rounded. I know Dusky's have rounded fins and the Longfin Damsel's have more point fins. These fish are extremely confusing when adults, and different sources have different descriptions of these fish making it even harder. For example, I've seen multiple sites say that Dusky's have dark edge on the anal fin and Longfin's have the blue edge, but I've seen others that say Dusky's have blue on the fins too.

I have a positive ID for you. Duskys and Longfins are both rounded. The points identify it as a Beaugregory Damselfish.

They can be equally vicious and bloodthirsty- often making violent, unprovoked attacks on divers. Why don't the news media villify these violent, aggressive fish, instead of sharks? I've never been bit by a shark, but have been assaulted countless times by these crazed fish.

I have a positive ID for you. Duskys and Longfins are both rounded. The points identify it as a Beaugregory Damselfish.

They can be equally vicious and bloodthirsty- often making violent, unprovoked attacks on divers. Why don't the news media villify these violent, aggressive fish, instead of sharks? I've never been bit by a shark, but have been assaulted countless times by these crazed fish.

What I really don't like is composing a shot on a nice looking fish only to have some sociopathic damsel chase it off right before a take the shot.

Right ON, PatW!!! I hate that. They either attack you incessantly; photobomb your perfectly exposed and composed picture (which had taken several pictures to adjust already) or chase off the critter.

Why doesn't Discovery Channel do "Damselfish Week"? My sister commented (before her first ocean dives) that she'd read that trumpetfish ambush and eat Damselfish...and thought "Poor Damselfish"!!

Then she went diving. :D

TC- Thanks for ID. You are certainly quite more knowledgeable in Damselfish than I am so I shouldn't doubt your conclusion, but man I can't find any pics of adult beau Gregory's that look like these fish. Even as adults they seem to have more color than these. I also wonder if perhaps the fins of the fish in my pics are actually a little more rounded than they appear in the pics, camera could be playing tricks. These fish seem so hard to ID as adults I have to wonder if the #1 ranked Damselfish expert in the world could make a true positive ID on these. The other thing I've noticed from looking at tons of pics of these damsels, is that it's really hard to tell if the fins go past the base of tail whether its a dusky or a longfin.

Fishy,

I don't think either picture is of a beaugregory either. I'd expect the fins to be more rounded and to see at least some yellow on the tail.
But beyond that ...

My ID is based off the pictures and drawings in the Reef Fish ID book by DeLoach and Humann. Color can be a good guide, but because fish can change color; it should not be relied on.

I'm sure that a fish expert could ID these fish- scientific IDs are bases on things like scale row counts and fin ray counts. Exciting stuff.

My ID is based off the pictures and drawings in the Reef Fish ID book by DeLoach and Humann. Color can be a good guide, but because fish can change color; it should not be relied on.

I'm sure that a fish expert could ID these fish- scientific IDs are bases on things like scale row counts and fin ray counts. Exciting stuff.

I could use a go-to fish scientist hah, anyone happen to know any experts to email the pics to?

Back
Top Bottom