Indonesia - what species of flathead??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divenski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This fish was seen in Bima Bay, Sangeang Island on a Komodo trip. Maybe about 2 feet long... partially buried in the sand, so hard to find the identifying marks for different flathead species. But perhaps you can help! Broadhead? Japanese? Other? I've checked a couple databases, but nothing definitive yet. Two pictures with different lighting. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

IMG_7173.jpgIMG_7175.jpg

Since no one is jumping in, I'll give my thought on what it is. From the size description, the Crocodile fish comes to mind, Cymbacephalus beauforti. Most of the other flatfish species are much smaller. Cheers

Thanks, guys. It hadn't really occurred to me... I have another crocodile fish picture from somewhere on that same trip... this one was so flat and smooth that it appeared to be something else. But yes, the size was similar. I've never seen another flathead, just in the id books, so didn't think that much about the size. Sometimes when you assume something (or that it's not something), that colors your search efforts. I appreciate the input!

Back
Top Bottom