Blenny

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Found a cute little blenny off the beach in Hollywood Florida. Depth maybe 12ft, on an artifical reef. Since neither of us had a camera, I did a quick sketch of him from memory. He was quite content sitting there on top of a rock as we stared and made notes. Size is maybe 2.5". Unfortunatley, I do not know what his tail looks like as I was busy looking at the false eyes (?) on the top center of each section of dorsal fin. The best way to describe them is to imagine a peacock feather. I do not know how many of those blotches there were, maybe 3-5. Also, note the pointed nose. I am pretty sure it is a blenny, from 1. the protrusion on the head, and 2. because of the way he was sitting on the rock.
Any ideas?

could it be a spikefin blenny (emblemariopsis signifera)?

it's the only blenny i know that has that "horn" on its head, other than the longhorn
blenny (hypsoblenius exstochilus), but that one has a clear stripe running
diagonally across its face

of course, if it were, it would be a rare find indeed. those guys are really, really
rare in Florida

Possibly a marbled blenny, Paraclinus marmoratus. The front of the dorsal fin is elongated, and they have two eyespots near the back of the dorsal fin.

Possibly a Quilfin Blenny, I've only seen on in the Bahamas. More likey it was a Hairy Blenny, they are quite common and like artificial reefs. They are all over Blue Heron Bridge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom