Where to begin looking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today we ran across a ??? That’s how bad I cannot begin to figure out where to look for what it was. It was one of those crystal clear things floating with some crystal looking structures sort of vertebral inside. (Really gotta get me a camera!)
DM said a jelly but wasn’t my guess, looked like something seen on the Black Water Dive – besides a jelly. 8-10” long
4x6” diameter (ovoid), smooth - nothing sticking out or dangling with very, very little visible inside (I kept trying to ‘realize’ it was a plastic sack.) No visible means of propulsion or apparent activity. Probably would be considered drifting but was moving as if collecting at the one open end.
Kona, Hawaii, The Rabbi, @ 20’ @ 1pm, I first saw 60’ away.

Any of you science types always so good at this, have any suggestions of species or some names to begin looking for ID/info online?

Salp? Not sure if they're endemic to Hawaii though.

Woohoo!
I’ve begun looking – a dearth of photo – and wealth of words.
Ok, I got real up close and personal, did not see anything like cilia, saw nada moving or movement – but could have been on a near to invisible scale. I didn’t poke it actually being very careful to not disturb it in any way (if the eyeball behind a rose color mask wouldn’t be disturbing.)
So far Weelia looks the closest (doloids) shape wise except this photo shows 5 times more ‘stuff’ than I could see. Saw nothing appearing to be muscle bands, organs and no color. The very few structures inside did not appear fuzzy (like cilia) but sharp, rigid, linear and long. Color or translucency was different from the membrane appearing ‘sac’ as more lucent or clear plexiglass, very thin, fine toothpickish. The largest long toothpick had evenly spaced….oh heck…it looked like the Christmas Tree ladder on a dive boat (just bars across a central square tube).
It was by it’s self.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom