yellow moray with black spots in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Found this guy yesterday!

We were diving off of Bari Reef in Bonaire. Any idea what kind? Google reveals nothing, every search for "yellow moray with black spots" yields only morays with roundish spots with soft edges.

Looked in Humann & DeLoach. I believe it's a chain moray.

Agreed. Its a chain moray. One of the more elusive eels, At least in my experience. I saw one at Bari (North) during a night dive a few weeks ago. I believe they are mainly nocturnal.

Nice shots. Chain Moray for sure.

If you want to see these guys in Bonaire, you don't need to dive to do it. Go to Eden Beach Resort. If you wish, eat supper at the Spice Club restaurant if you need an excuse to go. Take your dive lights; one of the LED models that doesn't overheat when used on land, perhaps. At the water's edge down near the pier, there's a large flat rock shelf that water washed over when the waves come in.

Walk along the edge of these flat rocks, looking at the shoreward ledges where water is about 2 or 3 inches deep, with waves washing over & then water receding. Chain morays crawl along here hunting at night. You don't need to dive to see them. 2 Or 3 inches of water will do it. A buddy showed them to me, and it's pretty neat.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom