The pelagic animal game

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smellzlikefish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For the ultimate critter experts

I have a selection of photos taken while blackwater diving. They include various types of larval fishes, squid and other invertebrates that have been identified by leading experts in the field. I'll post a photo and in a few days try to remember to repost with the actual identification and some information on the critter. If this is popular, I may try posting one every week. Let's start!

Name this species:

Attachments

• Pelagic Squid 3 small watermarked.jpg
    Pelagic Squid 3 small watermarked.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Pelagic Squid 5 small watermarked.jpg
    Pelagic Squid 5 small watermarked.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Pelagic Squid small watermarked.jpg
    Pelagic Squid small watermarked.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 137
Well, it's pretty clearly a cephalopod.
It appears to have eight arms and no obvious tentacles, so I'd say some sort of octopus.
However, the pictures are labeled "Pelagic Squid" so I'm wrong, and perhaps the tentacles are nascent.

This is Ancistrocheirus lesueurii. Their paralarva (seen here) develop in the epipelagic waters of tropical oceans the world over. Once mature, they will sink to 200-1000 meters down where they will live out the rest of their lives.

A baby Oarfish? :)
That was my first thought, too. But ... ?

This is fun.

Ding ding! Vincent got it! As carapids mature they lose the head filament (known as a vexillum) and long tail filament. Many species live out their adulthood in the anuses of echinoderms. Many even parasitize their hosts' gonads!

Let's try another one. You will probably be familiar with the adult version of this:

Caproidae 3 watermarked.jpg

If anyone is still listening, the last one was a yellow tang larva (Zebrasoma flavescens) somewhere around or after day 40. I am told that the pigment sash over its eye is a form of mimicry that looks like a smaller fish pointing up. Nature is weird.

Back
Top Bottom