What stung me? (Picture Posted)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
While diving in Cozumel this past February I was taking a picture of a big green moray when I felt a sting on my left hand. I looked over and found this plant that I believed stung me. It left rows of welts on my fingers, itched like crazy, swoll up and took forever to go away. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks!

That's a stinging hydroid. The welts will disappear after a week and the scars after 2 weeks. Try topical corticosteroids.

I didn't realize hydroids grew that big (or maybe the picture just makes it look big...), but I think Crispos is right.

found this plant that I believed stung me

that's no plant, my friend!! those are in fact animals. they
are tiny, collaborating individuals that make up a "plant"
looking colony.

i unfortunately can't i.d. which one you got a pic of there,
but i'm pretty sure it is a hydroid, though it could also
be a gorgonian.

let's see if Archman drops by. he'll know.

here's DAN's recommended treatment for hydroid stings:

After the blisters occur, treat the rash as you would a second-degree (blistering) burn, by keeping the affected area clean, applying a thin application of non-sensitizing topical antiseptic ointment such as mupirocin (Bactroban), and observing for the onset of infection. If the rash becomes incapacitating because of pain or itching, you might want to ask a physician to examine you and determine whether a hypersensitivity (allergic) reaction exists. If so, the physician would most likely treat you with a glucocorticoid (steroid) drug. You could take this type of medication by mouth or by injection - I would not expect a topical steroid cream or ointment to be of any particular benefit, and would not recommend its use, because of the effect of decreased wound healing and possible increase in the chance for infection.

here's the link:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=27

Thanks Crispos and ScubaRon, that is what it is. Someone on the dive boat had told me what they thought is was but I couldn't remember the name. But that is what they told me. Of course it's been two months now so it is gone. Hopefully there won't be another time, but if there is I'll remember the cortisone. LOL

ScubaRon- After I got stung I saw them growing everywhere in the sand. Most of them were probably about 4 - 6 inches tall but there were some larger ones like this picture. This one was probably a good foot or more tall and wide

Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Sponges and corals aren't plants either though they most certainly look like it!

Thanks for that very interesting bit of info!

Here is a website on them. Yes both the Hydrozoa and Anthozoa are both classes of Cnidaria, and Zoa is Greek for animal.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/hydrozoans.htm

That one I think is the branching hydroid, not sure which species. Most of them have white tipped branches but that one didn't.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.com/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=36 is a good article on how to handle various injuries from marine life. Fire coral and hydroids are covered in the section on Jellyfish stings.

Although not listed by DAN as one of the treatment options, the same Benadryl Gel used for poison oak & poison ivy was more effective than hydrocortisone after my brush with a stinging hydroid.

Thanks all for your links.

The DAN info could come in handy. I should print that and take it with me on future dives.

The hydrozoan link was interesting too. Didn't know Christmas Tree Worms stung, but I knew they weren't plants! LOL

While in Florida diving last October there were thousands of these very small "animals" floating through the water that would sting you. You couldn't avoid them because there were so many. I was wearing a shorty so it wasn't too fun. Luckily it wasn't a hard sting, didn't sting for long, and left no welts. They looked like tiny broken off tentacles or something. Any thoughts on what they were?

All this brought up another question. If all these hydroids look like plants but aren't, are there any plant looking like things in Cozumel that are actually plants????

got4boyz:
While in Florida diving last October there were thousands of these very small "animals" floating through the water that would sting you. You couldn't avoid them because there were so many. I was wearing a shorty so it wasn't too fun. Luckily it wasn't a hard sting, didn't sting for long, and left no welts. They looked like tiny broken off tentacles or something. Any thoughts on what they were?

hmmmm... well... they sound like sea lice. that's a misnomer.
they are really the free-floating stage of a bunch of things
like corals, as well as larval jellyfish, and what not.

that's my guess without more info :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom