Trunk Fish, Cow Fish. . SO MANY NAMES!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCollin

Reaction score
Ok Ive seen so many names for this fish, its also my favorite fish, Its so unique. But yea, Ive seen so many ways to name this fish. Which is the proper way?

In Latin!

I don't know which one you are referring to, but here is an example:

Lactoria cornuta

Latin names should always be italicized, the first word is always capitalized and the second isn't.

You can search on the Internet for more specifics on genus and such.

Actually the trunk fish and the cow fish are two different fishes.

The cow fish has "horns" on its head and the trunk fish don't.

Trunk fish are also black with white spots or white with black spots. Cowfish are lightish brownish with a pattern on its sides (not looking at the book, but going from memory).

Scuba_Jenny:
Actually the trunk fish and the cow fish are two different fishes.

The cow fish has "horns" on its head and the trunk fish don't.

Trunk fish are also black with white spots or white with black spots. Cowfish are lightish brownish with a pattern on its sides (not looking at the book, but going from memory).

Actually Jenny, when I do an image search for both names I come up with some of the same fish. That is why common names aren't preferred. Some fish will have the same common name in different areas. The Latin name however is never duplicated. Thus the Latin name is the only way to refer to a fish and have it be recognized in all locations. Different books may also show different common names for the same fish.

Go to google image search and do a search for the following:
"Lactoria cornuta"
"box fish"
"trunk fish"

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom