Help for a Mac owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Unfortunately, I didn't read this forum before purchasing my Lifeline. I have a MacAir. This computer doesn't have a disc drive on it. I also don't have access to a PC computer (even my work environment is all Mac). So, how do I get the firmware upgrade onto my Lifeline? I can't even register my unit because when plugging it in, a window comes up saying I need to upgrade the firmware from a pc, then locks up the site. I have to do a force quit to get my screen to clear.

I don't own or use a Mac, but I have plenty of multiplatform experience so here's what I'd expect needs to be done.

Download the firmware update in ISO format from this page: Nautilus Lifeline Support Troubleshooting MAC Software

On that page is a link to the ISO: http://updates.nautiluslifeline.com/lifeline-livecd.iso

From there, I'd think you'd want to prepare (Format) a USB thumb drive as a bootable media. Checkout the following software:

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

I see they have Mac support. Once you have the thumb drive as bootable, go back to the instructions on the lifeline page for how to update the firmware.

Unfortunately, I didn't read this forum before purchasing my Lifeline. I have a MacAir. ...

I know this query is several days old, but I had a relevant thought while in the midst of my own struggles to update to v.64 via the livecd method on a Powerbook G4 (non-intel) Mac, which looks like it's not going to happen.

I don't know if you've tried chrpai's clever idea to put the image on a usb drive, but that may not be the only hurdle.

The Macbook Air has no ethernet port. From the Nautilus support page about the livecd workaround,
Nautilus Lifeline Support Troubleshooting MAC Firmware
"12. NOTE: If computer is running on wireless internet, Software Update check will fail, as will registration by internet. "

Now, Apple (and some third party vendors) offer a usb ethernet adapter. It's quite possible that that will circumvent the issue, but I wouldn't be astounded to learn that some missing driver issue in the livecd image prepared by Nautilus gets in the way - I'm sure they didn't design for this case. And in any case, that adapter will be required to get off square 1.

The only other thing to add regarding both our levels of frustration is that I've been assured by Nautilus support that they are actively working to add "normal" f/w updates for Mac users; they understand the issues, but don't have a schedule they are prepared to publish. For now, that's enough to keep me patient with this new product.

A thousand buhs and no GigE? Man, now I know why I have a ($325) PC laptop.

I'd say just go to a friends/families house and use their PC.

Very concerned and unhappy that the unit cannot be set up or upgraded on a Mac. I have tried twice and no go. Just got off the line with Nautilus support. Correcting this needs to be highest priority, and the lack of full Mac compatibility needs to be disclosed on both the sales and support pages. Right now, the info available gives the impression it is possible after you jump through some hoops. Today I was told unequivocally that it will not work with the Mac at this time, and I need to find a PC. Guess I will have to see if parallels or VMware fusion will work, since all my friends are also Mac users!!!! Very displeased.

Divegirl, that's what I ended up doing. I found a guy at work who has a PC. We loaded the program on his laptop and then downloaded the software upgrade. I'll have to do this every time Nautilus sends out an update. I can only hope in the future that the company will see fit to make the product Mac compatible.

Divegirl, that's what I ended up doing. I found a guy at work who has a PC. We loaded the program on his laptop and then downloaded the software upgrade. I'll have to do this every time Nautilus sends out an update. I can only hope in the future that the company will see fit to make the product Mac compatible.

It's not quite that bad. You do need to find a Windows PC for initial setup, but only once. For firmware upgrades, if you have an intel Mac (anything from 2006 on), and not a Macbook Air, the "live CD" updater works, I've used it. Your Mac needs a hard-wired ethernet connection to the internet (not WiFi) and a CD or DVD drive. If you only have an Air, it might still be possible, read all of this thread for discussion.

Essentially, you boot a Nautilus-custom version of linux off the CD/DVD, and update the firmware from there. The disk image is first downloaded from their site and burned to disk. Clumsy, but it works, and no Windows needed. And the instructions (and support if you need it) are pretty good; you don't need to be a software expert. See Nautilus Lifeline Support Troubleshooting MAC Software . Booting standalone lets them get around the difficulties with Mac OSX USB hardware access that they're still struggling with.

And for configuration of the Lifeline, other than firmware updates, their Mac App works fine under OSX.

I'm not saying this is acceptable as a complete solution, but I've been assured they're working on it, and this workaround being provided suggests they're making an effort to support Macs as best they can for now.

It's not quite that bad. You do need to find a Windows PC for initial setup, but only once. For firmware upgrades, if you have an intel Mac (anything from 2006 on), and not a Macbook Air, the "live CD" updater works, I've used it. Your Mac needs a hard-wired ethernet connection to the internet (not WiFi) and a CD or DVD drive. If you only have an Air, it might still be possible, read all of this thread for discussion.

Essentially, you boot a Nautilus-custom version of linux off the CD/DVD, and update the firmware from there. The disk image is first downloaded from their site and burned to disk. Clumsy, but it works, and no Windows needed. And the instructions (and support if you need it) are pretty good; you don't need to be a software expert. See Nautilus Lifeline Support Troubleshooting MAC Software . Booting standalone lets them get around the difficulties with Mac OSX USB hardware access that they're still struggling with.

Yeah, I saw this in your link:

12. NOTE: If computer is running on wireless internet, Software Update check will fail, as will registration by internet.

Why, exactly, would you need a physical ethernet port? Esp. on the MacBook Air where the 802.11n connection is theoretically as fast as any USB2-based ethernet adapter (due to limitations of the USB2 spec)? Is that still a problem using the USB Ethernet Adapter or the new Thunderbolt Gigabit Adapter? Does this have something to do with drivers in their custom Linux distro? Or are they trying to hardware lock their device to the address of the physical ethernet port?

And for configuration of the Lifeline, other than firmware updates, their Mac App works fine under OSX.

I'm not saying this is acceptable as a complete solution, but I've been assured they're working on it, and this workaround being provided suggests they're making an effort to support Macs as best they can for now.

Good to hear they are "working on it". I'd like to buy a Lifeline, but it seems like they aren't ready for prime time just yet.

Why, exactly, would you need a physical ethernet port? Esp. on the MacBook Air where the 802.11n connection is theoretically as fast as any USB2-based ethernet adapter (due to limitations of the USB2 spec)? Is that still a problem using the USB Ethernet Adapter or the new Thunderbolt Gigabit Adapter? Does this have something to do with drivers in their custom Linux distro? Or are they trying to hardware lock their device to the address of the physical ethernet port?

I'm just a user who has had a little experience with their customer service on the issue of Mac support, so I don't speak authoritatively.
But yeah, I believe it's that they didn't build in drivers for Wifi, just the wired ethernet. This would only be a problem on the Air or the just announced Retina Macbook (which ought to be called an Air Pro), so you could see the requirement getting overlooked in cobbling together this livecd workaround.
As for the ethernet adapters through USB (or as of last week, Thunderbolt) I don't know, but as I said in my post of May 31 above, I wouldn't be surprised if the driver for the USB version was left out. And considering the timeline, i'd be astounded if the driver for the TB adapter was included.

Guesswork. If you want authoritative answers, you'll need to talk to Nautilus.

Good to hear they are "working on it". I'd like to buy a Lifeline, but it seems like they aren't ready for prime time just yet.

Well, prime time for me is the next dive trip, and it appears it's ready for that, more or less.
A little inconvenience getting it set up to use is a tradeoff I've decided to make, but everyone's entitled to their own tradeoff decisions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom