Using Windows 8.1 64bit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seattlepaul1975

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Trying to get the flash program to work and lifeline device drivers to work on Windows 8.1 64bit and can not get it to install.
Any one have luck with this?

The current software apparently installed just fine on my Windows 8.1 Thinkpad.

However, an attempt to update the firmware bricked the radio (seemed to start well, then poof).

Awaiting technical support answer to my inquiry.

-- W

I have installed Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3. Many new computers have USB 3.0. There is a popup that alerts you this know bug/issue when you try to update the firmware. You have to answer yes or no to proceed. So if you don't have a USB 2.0 input find a friend that does for now. The update to the firmware is worth the hassle. But don't use a USB 3.0 input.

I'm sure they are working on it.

The popup mentioned "compatibility issues" ... not really properly informative of the issue or the destructive risk.

It should say "your device will be BRICKED". Better yet, it should test for USB 3.0 and abort. Sloppy programming, years behind the typical system configuration, rather disturbing.

Cheers,
W

---------- Post added March 24th, 2015 at 09:05 AM ----------

Update, FYI:

The issue is USB 3.0 incompatibility.

I was able to dig up a USB 2.0 port at work, and was able to recover the radio. (it was hard -- we have all late-model computers ... turns out the Thinkpad dock I have supplied 2xUSB2.0 ports tucked away in the back, hiding among the 4xUSB3.0 ports).

The good news:
== Good customer service from Nautilus: They were willing to RMA the radio, and cross-ship an advance replacement radio in time for my scuba trip this Saturday. That was a positive solution approach to the problem.
== They are working on the USB 3.0 issue.

Cheers,
W

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom