Bricked

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeterNBiddle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On January 30th I plugged in my lifeline to recharge it and connected it to the Windows client app. I then tried to update my Lifeline to the latest firmware, which Nautilus say on their support page "has gone through extensive testing but we want to make darn sure that the upgrade performs perfectly in as many scenarios as possible all over the world":

Screenshot 2015-02-16 15.33.25.jpg

Unfortunately the update didn't take and it left me with a completely dead Lifeline. As in, bricked - the HW reset (holding down the 3 buttons) didn't even work anymore. I left the following message on the lifeline support site:

>> Peter Nicholas Biddle (Client) Posted On: 31 January 2015 12:50 PM
>>
>> I just tried to install the new firmware (after making sure the desktop SW
>> was NOT running) and my lifeline seems to be bricked. It was working just a
>> few minutes ago and was visible via your desktop SW.
>>
>> Here's what I've tried:
>> When I connect to any of the USB ports the green light comes on but the
>> Lifeline display does not. Windows tries to automatically install the USB
>> Mass Storage driver and then says it failed to install.
>> The existing desktop SW now no longer sees the lifeline.
>> Nothing happens when I hold down the three buttons for 3 seconds for a hard
>> reset.

Lifeline responded on with the following:

>> Tech Support (Staff) Posted On: 02 February 2015 12:27 PM
>>
>> Peter, thank you for the email.
>>
>> It sounds like the firmware may have been erased on your Lifeline which is usually an easy fix.
>>
>>
>> Please connect the Lifeline to a PC and listen for a chime indicating the computer is recognizing a device is connected. If you hear the chime, open the Desktop Software. Look for any messages such as "Scan and Fix" or "A Lifeline has been found with no firmware". If this doesn't appear right away, do the hard reset on the Lifeline while connected to the computer.
>>
>> Also ensure that you are not connecting to a USB 3.0 port. There is a known compatibility issue between the Lifeline (with no firmware) and these ports.
>>
>> It may also be necessary to try connecting with a different USB cable or even on a different computer if possible.
>>
>> Please let me know if it continues to give you trouble.

I replied with the following:

>> Peter Biddle (Client) Posted On: 02 February 2015 12:40 PM
>>
>> The cable worked and the ports worked before the failed firmware update - I could see the Lifeline via the desktop SW.
>>
>> The hard reset no longer works at all - not when it is connected nor when it is standalone.
>>
>> I’m connecting on a Mac Book Pro running windows. I believe the MBP has USB 3.0 ports. All we have are MBPs in my house - I no longer have access to other PCs.

This was their reply:

>> Tech Support (Staff) Posted On: 03 February 2015 10:50 AM
>>
>> Peter,
>>
>> Unfortunately, this particular issue can only be resolved by connecting to a non-USB 3.0 port on a Windows PC computer.
>>
>> If you are not able to get access to one of these computers, alternatively we can issue you an RMA number to have the Lifeline sent in for service. Please let me know if you would like to proceed with that.

I was pretty sure that I'd spend days dorking around trying to get someone to loan me another laptop and then I'd find out that it still didn't work, so I opted for the return, noting that we are heading out to Coz on the 16th. They said this should be okay:

>> On Feb 4, 2015, at 09:18, Tech Support <info@nautiluslifeline.com> wrote:
>>
>> Peter,
>>
>> Yes, if you send it out right away, I will make a note in our system to do our best to get that back to you before Feb. 16. Please see the RMA instructions below:

I sent it to them on the 6th and it should have arrived on the 7th. They are only a few hours up the coast from Seattle in BC and I used FedEx.

Days passed with no word from them. I pinged them over the weekend to see what was happening and this is what they replied with:

>>On Feb 16, 2015, at 09:42, Tech Support <info@nautiluslifeline.com> wrote:
>>
>>Hi Peter,
>>
>>Unfortunately, we were not able to complete repairs by the date requested. There is some further testing still required. I will get back to you as soon as it is ready to return.

We will be diving without our trusty (?) Lifeline. Hopefully we will not need it.

Here are the issues as I see them:

1) An easy-peasy little bit of SW can check for USB 3.0 and then fail gracefully when it's present. That's like kindergarten programming. It's an If.Then statement. If your coders can't manage that they shouldn't be working for you or on lifesaving scuba equipment.
2) If bricking is a KNOWN ISSUE then they shouldn't be so enthusiastic about installs. I am not swimming in your alpha testing pool, I'm a scuba diver with a piece of life-saving equipment.
3) When a device is bricked it should be an all-hands-on-deck event - see #2. This is life-saving equipment. If it no longer turns on it can't save my life.
4) Why didn't Nautilus FedEx me a brand new device on Friday if they couldn't get it working for the preceding week?
5) If the issue was so easy to solve then why did the techs fail to solve it after a week?
6) Why no word about what was happening?

I understand that product technical support is a thankless endeavor - I know because I did it for Windows a long, long time ago. I sympathize. My guess is that Nautilus isn't a very technically savvy company (based on their SW infrastructure, which seems to be crap) and they under-invest in support which means the techs are all over-worked and under-appreciated. I feel kinda bad about writing this.

But in the end I'm a customer of a life-saving piece of scuba equipment. That equipment was working and then the manufacturer knowingly ruined it by releasing firmware with bugs that can result in bricking on any modern PC (those with USB 3.0 ports) and they didn't take my issue seriously enough to merit solving it before I head out to dive next, which is the only time I could possibly need it. It just doesn't sound good when I describe it that way.

I'm hoping that by writing this Nautilus pays attention and fixes the issues that they clearly have so that this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Last edited:
I keep thinking about buying a Nautilus. This doesn't encourage me to do it.

Wow. I haven't tried to upgrade mine in a while. Perhaps I won't!

I had to return mine once. They were great and sent me a replacement quickly. My only complaints were:

1. They had me ship to Canada which was expensive and then it seem they shipped it back to me from the US. Would have been nice if they let me ship to a US address. However they were pretty quick about it and quite responsive.
2. They left the unit on on the bench in Canada and it went off late in the evening and the US Coast Guard called my cell to inquire why my lifeline was repeatedly setting off all the alarms both in the US and Canada. However it did prove how well it works!!

I keep thinking about buying a Nautilus. This doesn't encourage me to do it.

Have you found a lot of negative reports on the LL? Maybe you should read some of the tens of thousands positive reports that happy users don't bother to put on SB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Scuba equipment by nature is small run production. Meaning they don't have millions of users to report problems and tones of cash to fix those problems that occur in modern day electronics.

Out of the dive computers our little dive family of 3 has bought( we buy in 3's), we have had one of the three be replaced. A Zoop, Bud and Cobalt.

How these small companies handle warranties is what really matters. In my case I got a new DC each time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

On January 30th I plugged in my lifeline to recharge it and connected it to the Windows client app. I then tried to update my Lifeline to the latest firmware, which Nautilus say on their support page "has gone through extensive testing but we want to make darn sure that the upgrade performs perfectly in as many scenarios as possible all over the world":

Unfortunately the update didn't take and it left me with a completely dead Lifeline. As in, bricked - the HW reset (holding down the 3 buttons) didn't even work anymore. I left the following message on the lifeline support site:

>> Peter Nicholas Biddle (Client) Posted On: 31 January 2015 12:50 PM
>>
>> I just tried to install the new firmware (after making sure the desktop SW
>> was NOT running) and my lifeline seems to be bricked. It was working just a
>> few minutes ago and was visible via your desktop SW.
>>
>> Here's what I've tried:
>> When I connect to any of the USB ports the green light comes on but the
>> Lifeline display does not. Windows tries to automatically install the USB
>> Mass Storage driver and then says it failed to install.
>> The existing desktop SW now no longer sees the lifeline.
>> Nothing happens when I hold down the three buttons for 3 seconds for a hard
>> reset.

Lifeline responded on with the following:

>> Tech Support (Staff) Posted On: 02 February 2015 12:27 PM
>>
>> Peter, thank you for the email.
>>
>> It sounds like the firmware may have been erased on your Lifeline which is usually an easy fix.
>>
>>
>> Please connect the Lifeline to a PC and listen for a chime indicating the computer is recognizing a device is connected. If you hear the chime, open the Desktop Software. Look for any messages such as "Scan and Fix" or "A Lifeline has been found with no firmware". If this doesn't appear right away, do the hard reset on the Lifeline while connected to the computer.
>>
>> Also ensure that you are not connecting to a USB 3.0 port. There is a known compatibility issue between the Lifeline (with no firmware) and these ports.
>>
>> It may also be necessary to try connecting with a different USB cable or even on a different computer if possible.
>>
>> Please let me know if it continues to give you trouble.

I replied with the following:

>> Peter Biddle (Client) Posted On: 02 February 2015 12:40 PM
>>
>> The cable worked and the ports worked before the failed firmware update - I could see the Lifeline via the desktop SW.
>>
>> The hard reset no longer works at all - not when it is connected nor when it is standalone.
>>
>> I’m connecting on a Mac Book Pro running windows. I believe the MBP has USB 3.0 ports. All we have are MBPs in my house - I no longer have access to other PCs.

This was their reply:

>> Tech Support (Staff) Posted On: 03 February 2015 10:50 AM
>>
>> Peter,
>>
>> Unfortunately, this particular issue can only be resolved by connecting to a non-USB 3.0 port on a Windows PC computer.
>>
>> If you are not able to get access to one of these computers, alternatively we can issue you an RMA number to have the Lifeline sent in for service. Please let me know if you would like to proceed with that.

I was pretty sure that I'd spend days dorking around trying to get someone to loan me another laptop and then I'd find out that it still didn't work, so I opted for the return, noting that we are heading out to Coz on the 16th. They said this should be okay:

>> On Feb 4, 2015, at 09:18, Tech Support <info@nautiluslifeline.com> wrote:
>>
>> Peter,
>>
>> Yes, if you send it out right away, I will make a note in our system to do our best to get that back to you before Feb. 16. Please see the RMA instructions below:

I sent it to them on the 6th and it should have arrived on the 7th. They are only a few hours up the coast from Seattle in BC and I used FedEx.

Days passed with no word from them. I pinged them over the weekend to see what was happening and this is what they replied with:

>>On Feb 16, 2015, at 09:42, Tech Support <info@nautiluslifeline.com> wrote:
>>
>>Hi Peter,
>>
>>Unfortunately, we were not able to complete repairs by the date requested. There is some further testing still required. I will get back to you as soon as it is ready to return.

We will be diving without our trusty (?) Lifeline. Hopefully we will not need it.

Here are the issues as I see them:

1) An easy-peasy little bit of SW can check for USB 3.0 and then fail gracefully when it's present. That's like kindergarten programming. It's an If.Then statement. If your coders can't manage that they shouldn't be working for you or on lifesaving scuba equipment.
2) If bricking is a KNOWN ISSUE then they shouldn't be so enthusiastic about installs. I am not swimming in your alpha testing pool, I'm a scuba diver with a piece of life-saving equipment.
3) When a device is bricked it should be an all-hands-on-deck event - see #2. This is life-saving equipment. If it no longer turns on it can't save my life.
4) Why didn't Nautilus FedEx me a brand new device on Friday if they couldn't get it working for the preceding week?
5) If the issue was so easy to solve then why did the techs fail to solve it after a week?
6) Why no word about what was happening?

I understand that product technical support is a thankless endeavor - I know because I did it for Windows a long, long time ago. I sympathize. My guess is that Nautilus isn't a very technically savvy company (based on their SW infrastructure, which seems to be crap) and they under-invest in support which means the techs are all over-worked and under-appreciated. I feel kinda bad about writing this.

But in the end I'm a customer of a life-saving piece of scuba equipment. That equipment was working and then the manufacturer knowingly ruined it by releasing firmware with bugs that can result in bricking on any modern PC (those with USB 3.0 ports) and they didn't take my issue seriously enough to merit solving it before I head out to dive next, which is the only time I could possibly need it. It just doesn't sound good when I describe it that way.

I'm hoping that by writing this Nautilus pays attention and fixes the issues that they clearly have so that this doesn't happen to anyone else.

We are going to Coz for a month in April and after reading your message I immediately attempted to update. It worked seamlessly and I took it out again today to see if the settings stayed in the radio and that all functions were intact. They were. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. Sorry yours did not work properly. Hope Nautilus hears your issues. Have a good time in Coz. We always do after thirty some years of diving there.

We are going to Coz for a month in April and after reading your message I immediately attempted to update. It worked seamlessly and I took it out again today to see if the settings stayed in the radio and that all functions were intact. They were. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. Sorry yours did not work properly. Hope Nautilus hears your issues. Have a good time in Coz. We always do after thirty some years of diving there.

Glad yours worked out!

some of the tens of thousands positive reports that happy users don't bother to put on SB.

Tens of thousands? Really? For that they would have to have like hundreds of thousands in the hands of consumers to get that many reports? I didn't think they were that wide spread yet. Or you just doing the Nixon 'great silent majority' thing?

I do still love mine and for my diving it is the perfect tool. If mine disappeared, I would still buy another one.

Tens of thousands? Really? For that they would have to have like hundreds of thousands in the hands of consumers to get that many reports? I didn't think they were that wide spread yet. Or you just doing the Nixon 'great silent majority' thing?

I do still love mine and for my diving it is the perfect tool. If mine disappeared, I would still buy another one.
Sorry, I guess I was too cryptic. My point is that people who are happy almost never post that information....and there are probably "tens of thousands" of happy customers. So trying to gauge customer happiness by looking at negative reports is not really a valid approach. I know at least ten people who have one, and they are all happy. But that is hardly a statistically valid survey!

Sorry, I guess I was too cryptic. My point is that people who are happy almost never post that information....and there are probably "tens of thousands" of happy customers. So trying to gauge customer happiness by looking at negative reports is not really a valid approach. I know at least ten people who have one, and they are all happy. But that is hardly a statistically valid survey!

Well it might not be a gauge of customer happiness, but I think it is often a good gauge of problems and concerns which is really what one wants to know. I use negative reports all the time to judge a product. Of course most items have negative reports, but they often allow one to judge if that issue is a real issue for you. Negative reports are always much more useful than cheer-leading reports.

So, now I got an email from US Boats where I registered my Lifeline (Because that was where lifeline sent me to register when I bought it). They are no longer registering lifelines as their registry is just in US Coast Guard files and the info is not accessible to international SAR responders. Nautilus told me not to worry about it, but I don't know that I like the fact that I use the lifeline in Cozumel most of the time and if I trip it, they would never know who I am. Nautilus said no worries it will still set off all the proper alarms and send your GPS, but I found that troubling. Of course it would work, but I sort of thought it was a good idea for my info to be attached to the alarm?

Any thoughts? Where does one register a boat radio if you take it international?

Back
Top Bottom