Splash... No fins :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BugHunterNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So as many of us were, I journeyed to warmer climes this Holiday season for some relaxing and sightseeing dives in the relatively shallow Southern Florida region.

About halfway through my week of diving, my stomach was full of spiny and slipper buggers and I was having a particularly serene surface interval on The Narcosis with lively discussion and a flat ocean. It was so calm, and I was having such a nice time diving with one tank and little else - I became way to complacent.

Fast forward to my water entry, reg is working, gauges showing plenty of gas, mask, snare, catch bag, reel and sausage all check. Good to go. Line up, Dive Dive Dive!

Splash.

Got it yet?

Even though we're drift diving in mild current, I highly recommend some sort of orthotic propulsion....

Check, check and check some more! Things can go wrong on even the "easiest" and most "recreational" dives.

Now I pose you thus.... Who else had that ah-duh! moment recently?

That is how accidents happen. Very often complacency.. I've forgotten at least once, probaby every single piece of dive equipment made. Once, after awakening from a nap, I told the captain I was ready for the dive while crawling over the transom (and feeling especially strong) and I had forgotten to put on my entire scuba unit.. No wonder I felt "strong".

It is the shear stupidity of people (and myself) which makes me stick to my old school ideas of ditchable lead and a few other things many people now think are archaic and unneeded when diving.

Nope never done that...but only because Finch (Narcosis)) or another diver brought it to my attention before splash. Mask too. :blush:

Well... I've done a dive with one fin. I dropped the other during entry and it drifted away and was lost. I figured I'd be ok with one and we went anyway. Spent the whole dive with ankles crossed and swimming with a dolphin kick LOL.

A buddy of mine forget his fins once too. We spend 45 minutes preparing for a dive and when we were finally ready to go I was standing up to my knees in water waiting for him.... two tanks on my back and one under the left arm. He came and stood beside me and said, "Rob.... I.... er.... forgot my fins at home".

This wasn't the first time. The time before that we were on the North Sea above an incredibly interesting wreck. He backed out due to being severely sea-sick so I dove solo (last in, last out but on the wreck with other groups). I decided to do this dive solo too. I cut the deco down to account for the missing gas and said to him, "see you in an hour". I only hit 36 metres and I think I was actually back on the surface in less than an hour, which at that site means that I probably only had 10 minutes or so of hang-time.

When I got back to the surface he was sitting on the hood of his car smoking and looking through the binoculars in the wrong direction LOL. He was a bit worried for me but it was one of the most relaxing dives I can ever remember.

I'm not sure I would do either of those dives today. I've gotten older, more mortal in my mind and more aware of the risks.

R..

Nope never done that...but only because Finch (Narcosis)) or another diver brought it to my attention before splash. Mask too.

Brian was nice enough to point it out when I popped back to the surface! Ha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian was nice enough to point it out when I popped back to the surface! Ha!

Yep. They are especially good at that!

Never forgot my fins... But my buddies tend to take theirs off mid dive.... (Ever seen a GUE T2 diver as a buddy on a macrophotography dive? You know it's time to put away the camera when they take off their fins and go inverted blowing "smoke rings" (In a dry-suit and doubles no less..))

My most embarrassing dive moment? I was diving with a buddy who is just a bit impatient. I wasn't getting ready fast enough so he said he would wait for me at the anchor line. I rushed gearing up and backrolled into the water without my weightbelt. My buddy was not pleased. I climbed back aboard the boat, took off my gear and put on my weightbelt. I then made a second backroll, but forgot my fins. D-oh!

Never forgot my fins... But my buddies tend to take theirs off mid dive.... (Ever seen a GUE T2 diver as a buddy on a macrophotography dive? You know it's time to put away the camera when they take off their fins and go inverted blowing "smoke rings" (In a dry-suit and doubles no less..))

Ok. I'll bite. Why do they remove their fins to invert? Is that something related to drysuit or doubles?

I'm going to guess it's because they [think] are so cool, and that's their way of demonstrating impatience with the photographer? Love it!

Keep 'em coming guys! Let's turn this thread into Diver Down 3: the Bonehead Chronicles!

If you can't reflect, debrief (and laugh a bit) you're not going to learn from it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom