Her Air Stopped on 140 Foot Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
We were diving to the stalactites & columns in Belize’s Blue Hole, from an Aqua Dives boat (whom I’ll never go out with again!), with one Dive Guide leading, one DG bringing up rear point, and the new-kid employee staying on the boat. One of the divers got more than halfway down when her air suddenly stopped (that has got be a lousy feeling at 80 feet!!), and I understand that she didn’t think of grabbing her buddy’s alternate second stage, but instead abandoned him, instinctively swimming up – probably holding her breath…!

Fortunately, she did keep her reg in her mouth, and found air as she came up, then swam over to the rear point DG, pointing at her first stage. He turned it on, and she turned to see her buddy who’d been following, so they continued the dive. Thank Gawd this did not happen at 140 feet under narcosis.

Her buddy swears he checked the tank, and I know that this guy knows lefty-loosy well, but someone apparently had turned the tank all the way off, then half a turn open. We suspect the new-kid employee.

Always need to look at the SPG as you take a few breaths, as you know. Right before the dive, I go along the tank rack & turn on all the tanks (I know some divers get upset if anyone touches their gear, but that's not usually the case here) just so I KNOW they're on. After that I tell the group "I"ve already turned on everyone's air, so don't go and turn it OFF by accident." We get a fair number of divers who don't know which if "off" and which is "on", so their method is "turn it the way it ain't." On a semi-related topic, yesterday I had a group of 5, and 2 of them were kind of new, about a dozen dives each. About 10 minutes into the dive, I checked all their air....most of them signalled anywhere from 100~140 bar (1500~2000psi) but the new girl, at a skinny 90lbs or so, signalled "40 bar" (about 600psi). I knew she was huffin' & puffin', but THAT didn't seem possible. Swam over to take a closer look, and turned over her gauge console for her....as she'd get a more accurate reading from the SPG than the depth gauge! She was reading 40 feet as her air pressure. That's a new one...although I had a diver read the compass once to get her air pressure...no problem as long as she faced south (180 bar, 2600 psi) but she'd have been in big trouble if she faced north (0 bar/0 psi)! All in a day's work.

DandyDon:
We were diving to the stalactites & columns in Belize’s Blue Hole, from an Aqua Dives boat (whom I’ll never go out with again!), with one Dive Guide leading, one DG bringing up rear point, and the new-kid employee staying on the boat. One of the divers got more than halfway down when her air suddenly stopped (that has got be a lousy feeling at 80 feet!!), and I understand that she didn’t think of grabbing her buddy’s alternate second stage, but instead abandoned him, instinctively swimming up – probably holding her breath…!

Fortunately, she did keep her reg in her mouth, and found air as she came up, then swam over to the rear point DG, pointing at her first stage. He turned it on, and she turned to see her buddy who’d been following, so they continued the dive. Thank Gawd this did not happen at 140 feet under narcosis.

Her buddy swears he checked the tank, and I know that this guy knows lefty-loosy well, but someone apparently had turned the tank all the way off, then half a turn open. We suspect the new-kid employee.

Darwin alert.

Blow and go from 80 feet to the surface and they continue the dive. That's just great.

I won't even comment upon the idea of doing a 140 fsw dive on an AL80 with someone like that.

Still, glad that she was OK. This time....

Northeastwrecks:
I won't even comment upon the idea of doing a 140 fsw dive on an AL80 with someone like that.

Actually, she and her buddy were on 100 cf tanks. Most of the group was on 80s, but I talked these two into doing the trip, and I arranged 100s for the 3 of us.

Uncle Pug:
Well... at least you were able to hand her your pony.

No, I was below with the front point DG. Heard about it all later....

Says something for not being lazy and learning to assemble and check your own gear and be able to manipulate your own valves at depth.

All of these are a requirement from ANY training agency.

When I am down south and a DM or anyone touches my gear like they seem to do for most people they learn quick to never do it again or face my wrath. No one has my own interests in mind like I do.

Complacency kills and no one is to blame but her. Not even the new kid.

DandyDon:

no one elses but the divers fault,she should have taken a couple of breaths from the reg before entering ,while watching her spg,second: stop think,act right instead of bolting upto the surface.lucky that nothing serious happened.peace

I did this dive a few years ago, and personally I think it is the most dangerous guided dive I have ever seen. 130 ft........ yeah right, I was picking up novices on their 7th dive from 190...and I was supposed to be enjoying myself, out of the group of 12, I was wearing one of only four computers.

On that kind of dive, in that kind of place, check the sintered filter for serious blockage and check the tank for aluminium oxide sloshing around inside. Both can produce loss of gas flow at those depths.

I will have to agree that the buddy system is in place for a reason, but the final responsibility falls with the diver. Even you car has a backup for brakes pull the emergency break. It should be said "new kid" or not it is not his place to check the tank. While some say, should have checked the reg when getting in the water. this would not have produced the problem as it takes some time to hit 80 feet and a few more than just 10 breaths. If the valve is to blame it is only due to not beening open fully and when put under pressure sealed. While I take the time to check tanks a "new" kid may not. My check is redundant as a well instructed student turned diver will use the buddy system. Look to suggest going over the uses of the buddy system and reasons for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom