A cave diving accident in Tulum yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Yesterday I had a dive planned. I was going to dive a particularly famous cave section near Tulum that is world renound for its beauty, and the fact that it is pretty hard to find.

I usually find myself the night before a cave dive mentally preparing myself, as much as I prepare my gear. However in this case, I really didnt have the chance. I woke to an emotionally disturbing confrontation with my (recently) ex wife over parental responsabilities, which disrupted my pre dive mental prep even further.

I picked up my dive partner, one that I particularly wanted to impress due to "her" impressive "credentials", but commented that even though I had eaten breakfast, I felt a little weak and shaky.

I have also been rather congested lately, but I shook off my growing feeling of uneasyness with the justification that I needed to snap out of it, and a good cave dive would do me good and cheer me up, even though what I really wanted to do is go home, crawl into bed and cry like a girl.

I didnt though and we continued south. We were delayed a little, and although my normal supplier of tanks and light rental gear my partner needed, I knew of another one further south.

We ran into a friend of my partner in Tulum, and as I got out of the car and felt my head spin, I knew at this moment that the cave diving accident near Tulum was not going to happen today.

I called the dive before we even got in the water. Why?

The story I have written above, sounds like a typical combination of events that leads up to a real, but tragic outcome, caused by a silly error that shouldnt have happened.

I have read enough accident reports that I recognize the pattern and saw it unfolding before my very eyes.

I was immediately dissapointed, I had driven 160 km for this dive, I hadnt had the chance to cave dive for WAY too long etc, etc.

Then the feeling of impending doom I had had all morning vanished and was replaced by a sense of relief.

We went down the beach, found a resturaunt with a view and proceeded to reduce the global popululations of small crustaceans and limes, along with a relaxing amount of a particular "NON DIR" beverage.

was this a cave diving accident? NO

Could it have been. YES

does it suck when you have to cancel a dive YES.

did an afternoon in the company of a fabulous girl with a stunning view, fresh seafood washed down with cold frosties on a beach in Mexico make up for it.

ABSOLUTELY.

Next weekend, my cold will be better and we have lined up a dive that is SO extrordinary that I cant even start to tell you what it is yet. I will report it next week if the pics come out tho.

Thanks Mark.... the title definitely caught my attention.

Glad you're still with us, and that good judment prevailed. Better to call the dive than to have to call a recovery team. It's sometime hard - for a lot of us guys, who have pounded thru feeling sick before thinking "I'll be alright", to use restraint and wisdom, and not worry about "pussin' out" or appearing weak.

I spent a vacation near Tulum and I'm headed back sometime soon. I'll be sure to give you a heads up, and say hello!

Good call..

Remember, the best revenge is living well.

Great choice.

It takes far more guts to "call" a dive than to push through - maybe nothing would have happened, but then again, there's a significant possibility that something might.

I applaud your bravery......... as one who early on learned that "forcnig" a dive that just isn't meant to be, generally leads to suffering consequences, the least of which is a sucky dive.

Reactions: Jax
Once upon a time I realized I was still sick, exhausted, had absolutely no business where I was... and still had 800' to go to the cave's exit.
You were much, much wiser than I.
Had I had *anything* go wrong between the time I realized I was not where I should be and the mouth of the cave I'd be a statistic.
Never again.
You did the right thing.
Rick

after I posted this, I thought of one of the fundimental rules of Tec/Cave diving is that a good dive is any dive that you walk away from.

What I hadnt realised is that that can actually be "walking away" from the dive before you get in the water.

From that point of view, it was a good days cave diving.

Good call, Mark.
You're the kind of person I like to dive with.

I have been on a few dives I should have walked away from, that was before I was certified, but that's no excuse. I find it VERY dificult to call a dive when money's at stake, mine or mine AND my buddy's. I've done it once and I hated losing the money, but felt very releived after. I was lucky that my partner was still able to dive in a threesome. Peer pressure to dive is difficult to deal with.

I've had a few buddies call a dive in my time and I have never been angry or upset about it. Sorry I lost the money, yes, but it's better than losing a buddy.
I have immense respect for those who will call a dive and none for those who won't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom