Sometime – It’s Just One Things After Another…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I am not really a Solo Dive, but more of a Same Boat Diver – in that my Pony bottle and I will dive the same reef or wreck as everyone else at the same time. I’ll kinda’ help look out for others, and if things get hairy – I am not one to bluff my way thru things Rambo style; I’ll join a buddy team as a self-invited new-bud if it looks like the prudent action available. Like all the teams I joined on today’s Papoose dive off of Morehead City NC…

The viz hadn’t been great for the dive, and then I found myself surrounded in schooling Baitfish and Amberjacks, as well as just not at all sure where the anchor line was on this interesting junk pile. “No problem,” I thought. “I’ve got lots of air left, no other problems, and my Pony. I’m in good shape.” But this wreck is a big one, and when I didn’t find the lifeline in short order, I soon adopted a pair of divers I knew were from my boat and not the big one anchored across the way – as they headed away from the wreck and on a slow swimming ascent.

All the hunting around had put me into just a little Deco time, but “No problem, as I’ve got lots of air left and a solution at hand.” There was a bit of a head current, though, and I soon found my PSIs dropping down to the 500 range. I heretofore never had deployed my Pony other than in practice and to aid other divers short on gas, but this seemed like a good time to use the Bail-Out-Only bottle for a prudent Bail-Out. I was still following the other two divers, whom I hoped really knew which way they were going, but one of my multitude of back-up plans was to be with a small group if they screwed up and we all had to do a free ascent to be picked up later, certainly better than me alone drifting down current too far from an anchored boat. One of them went ahead and surfaced alone, while the other stayed below with me as we extended our swimming stop, and I was quickly reassured that we were now following a surface swimmer certainly headed for the boat.

I was to be latter advised that I seemed to have a significant leak from the Pony’s first stage, though, and that back-plan played out all too quickly. Some of you may know that sick, icky feeling of taking a couple of increasingly difficult drags on a reg, knowing that you’ll next be taking your last drag on that bottle at this depth. Gawd, but that was not fun, yet – I had only to switch back to my main reg & bottle – comfortable that I still had 500 PSI of a 120 cf bottle, thinking: “This is not really a problem. I’ve got 20 cf of 30% Nx left, at 20 feet, only a few minutes of Deco left, and surely we’re close to the boat." The stressed situation may have taken a toll on my consumption rate, though, and it did take a while to finally find the hang line. You know that sick, icky feeling of taking a couple of increasingly difficult drags on a reg, knowing that you’ll next be taking your last drag on that bottle at this depth is really not a good thing twice on the same dive.

I held onto that last good breath and swam down just a bit to be safe on over expansion while I sought obtain the attention of the first diver I could find on the line. I wasn’t desperate yet, as I could easily go for a direct ascent to the boat if I wanted to blow off 5 minutes of Deco, sit out the boat ride in on an Oxygen mask, lock up the one of two computers that had not cleared yet, and sit out the next day of diving – at best?! Things could play out not that well, of course, and we are never guaranteed to get or not get bent, so I signaled the diver politely: “I am totally out of damned air!” He gave me a reg, opting for one of his others at that point, and I started eyeballing my computer and flashing a decreasing number of fingers at him over 5 minutes. I hate screwing up, as I must always admit that some of the problems had to be of my own making, but I really hate being found out when there’s half a dozen other divers from the same boat on the line watching the drama. Jeeze!

Finally – after a long, embarrassing hang time, my second computer finally cleared, I offered him a thumbs-up, and I pulled my own reg to my mouth in hopes of finding a couple more breaths as I slowly ascended the last 20 feet. The last I saw of him as I did get that next breath was him showing me his 8 minutes left on his computer yet! “Gosh, I hope I left him with enough gas?” I was in no position to be even thinking about aiding others, though, as I still had myself to finish saving, so I just counted on him being a good diver who would have told me if I had been overstaying my welcome.

All along, I had a number of contingency plans, some I used, a couple I had left to drop back on – always mindful that I could drop the weights, orally inflate my BC and Sausage if ultimately needed, and ride out the consequences with only the assurance that I’d entered the water healthy and well hydrated in case of emergency.

But I like think that I am a better diver than to let some of those problems happen, and I am so embarrassed that I’m asking Don to publish my story – as I don’t want it under my username!

Don,

The only people who never screw up are the people who never do anything.

We all screw up from time to time. Its part of diving. Dive often and long enough, and you'll have a few that you have to have your friends publish under different names. It's even been known to happen to a friend of mine, also! :D

Write down your lessons-learned, try not to make the same mistakes twice, and plan better next time. Thanks for the tips.

P.S. bigger pony? :wink: <teasing...>

wow, sounds like Murphy was running rampant on that dive.

FreeFloat:

Okay, okay - it was realluy me!

I would have rather prefaced with "this ain't my story," but it is. :blush:

Well... siince you lived through this one, I'd like to welcome you back to the board! :11:

What else would you expect from a greeter! :crafty:

Glad you made it.

Christian

Hmmm... the post I made on this thread last night seems to have disappeared into cyberspace. Don, just wanted to say that a few months ago, I discovered my "trusty" pony bottle was leaking seriously due to a rotting o-ring and slightly corroded seat. One of my friends noticed a stream of bubbles coming from it on a dive. I had noticed that it seemed to evacuate without being used, so I generally kept an eye on the pressure by checking it every few days.

Fortunately once my LDS checked it and replaced the o-ring and smoothed the seat, it has been fine. However, regular maintenance on the pony is important.

Enjoy NC and say hi to the gang for me.

Dr. B.

Don,

Thank you for sharing this 'event' with the rest of us. I'd dive with you anytime (but I'm bringing doubles :) for us)

Seriously, glad it worked out well and glad you didn't panic.

Randy

DandyDon:
But I like think that I am a better diver than to let some of those problems happen, and I am so embarrassed that I’m asking Don to publish my story – as I don’t want it under my username!

Don,

I commented on another board where you posted this incident. I personally think that there was alot that was done right on the dive (all in the not panicking dept.) and much that was done wrong (mainly in the gas management for a deco dive). Both are equally important.

I will repeat one suggestion here. If you sling the stage bottle (like most to the techies do), you can see the air leak from the first stage. A 19 cu. ft bail-out doesn't take long to leak out on you (as you found out). If you are relying on it, a DIN valve may be in order instead of a yoke connection where the O-Ring can leak like a sieve in short order.

The other stuff... the divers here will beat you until you are blue, so I won't add to the horse whipping. I will say that at least you found one of the other divers and got gas from them instead of running an additional risk of DCS. I hear tell that this is not a pleasant experience.

Welcome back and please get some dive training that includes gas management if you plan to do decompression dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom