carbon monoxide in tanks - cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

map51

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need to point out a very dangerous thing that happened to us last week while my brother and I were scuba diving. We were at the Occidental Grand Hotel, which is a very large, very nice resort that caters to a lot of divers. Their dive shop is Dive Palancar. I have been diving since 1979 and never even heard of this problem. There is an inherent risk in scuba diving but having carbon monoxide in the breathing tanks should not be one of them. As a diver you trust that dive company to fill the tank safely.

. . .

We begin the dive. Our group of nine plus 2 dive masters jump in the water and descend to the sandy shelf at about 35 feet deep. We all give the okay sign. After about one minute one of the divers goes racing up to the surface from the 35 foot depth. He was kicking as hard as he could toward the surface. One of the dive masters goes up with him. The other dive master continues us on. Thirteen minutes into the dive we are down to 80 feet and then almost simultaneously two other divers went unconscious, started convulsing, and their regulators floated out of their mouths. All of us made an emergency ascent to the surface with the two unconscious divers, while hoping that we, ourselves, would not go unconscious from the bad air or get decompression sickness from going up too fast. We surfaced and the two victims both vomited and had very shallow breathing - we thought they were both dead or going to die. The boat wasn't there when we surfaced because it had taken the first hurt diver in. So we frantically were yelling and blowing my distress horn from my bcd for another boat, which one finally came after several minutes. The two divers were dragged up on the boat and were given oxygen. Several minutes later they seemed to be awake, breathing, and stabilizing. The boat stopped at the closest dock, which was still a 10 minute boat ride, where paramedics came. We were taken back to our resort where we sat in disbelief and feeling lucky to be alive. Looking back on it we should have also been taken to the Hospital to be checked out.

12 Feb 2010 Friday

We learn that on the 10:30 am dive there were 2 incidents similar to our 2:00 pm dive, however, there was no mention of the problem or mention of stopping the dive or any concern. The only thing that they may have done to minimize the problem was there were two dive masters with us on the dive. But that may have exasperated the problem because instead of stopping the dive after the first diver went up – they continued the dive with the one dive master until the 2 other divers went unconscious.

Last edited by a moderator:
The following is what happened to both my brother and I:

9 Feb 2010 Tuesday

#6 Dive 9:00 am – good dive
#7 Dive 10:30 am – not feeling well at end of dive

Afternoon – Both my brother and I have headaches, are lethargic, and are nauseated. Chaulk it up to not sleeping well or time change. We are both fit, don't drink or smoke.

10 Feb 2010 Wednesday

Plan on Dive at 2:00 pm – we cancel – not feeling well enough
#8 Dive 3:30 pm – good dive

11 Feb 2010 Thursday

#9 Dive 9:00 am – good dive
#10 Dive 2:00 pm – Hell

We begin the dive. Our group of nine plus 2 dive masters jump in the water and descend to the sandy shelf at about 35 feet deep. We all give the okay sign. After about one minute one of the divers goes racing up to the surface from the 35 foot depth. He was kicking as hard as he could toward the surface. One of the dive masters goes up with him. The other dive master continues us on. Thirteen minutes into the dive we are down to 80 feet and then almost simultaneously two other divers went unconscious, started convulsing, and their regulators floated out of their mouths. All of us made an emergency ascent to the surface with the two unconscious divers, while hoping that we, ourselves, would not go unconscious from the bad air or get decompression sickness from going up too fast. We surfaced and the two victims both vomited and had very shallow breathing - we thought they were both dead or going to die. The boat wasn't there when we surfaced because it had taken the first hurt diver in. So we frantically were yelling and blowing my distress horn from my bcd for another boat, which one finally came after several minutes. The two divers were dragged up on the boat and were given oxygen. Several minutes later they seemed to be awake, breathing, and stabilizing. The boat stopped at the closest dock, which was still a 10 minute boat ride, where paramedics came. We were taken back to our resort where we sat in disbelief and feeling lucky to be alive. Looking back on it we should have also been taken to the Hospital to be checked out.

12 Feb 2010 Friday

We learn that on the 10:30 am dive there were 2 incidents similar to our 2:00 pm dive, however, there was no mention of the problem or mention of stopping the dive or any concern. The only thing that they may have done to minimize the problem was there were two dive masters with us on the dive. But that may have exasperated the problem because instead of stopping the dive after the first diver went up – they continued the dive with the one dive master until the 2 other divers went unconscious.

How do you know it was CO in the tank? Was it tested?

It's entirely possible that it was CO, and I actually bought a pocket CO tester, but I was wondering if this was actually CO or you're just assuming?

Terry

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to near misses.

Glad to hear you are OK and the other divers were lucky enough to live to tell about it. Terry, do you use the CO tester all the time?

Only when I don't know the fill station and operator.

Terry

I am interested to know what CO measurements you have encountered in tanks with this unit. Thanks.

Also, have your readings been higher in any particular locale?

We learn that on the 10:30 am dive there were 2 incidents similar to our 2:00 pm dive, however, there was no mention of the problem or mention of stopping the dive or any concern. The only thing that they may have done to minimize the problem was there were two dive masters with us on the dive. But that may have exasperated the problem because instead of stopping the dive after the first diver went up – they continued the dive with the one dive master until the 2 other divers went unconscious.[/QUOTE]

What was the explanation of Dive Palancar? Are they acknowledging responsibility?
Did you report this incident to Naui? If not, I suggest that you do.

I am interested to know what CO measurements you have encountered in tanks with this unit. Thanks.

Also, have your readings been higher in any particular locale?

Unfortunately, I'm not a really good test case, since after getting some really nasty fills, I now bring my air to anyplace within driving distance. This means that my poor Subaru is really dragging on trips, but at least I know what I'm breathing.

When flying to dive destinations, I've checked a few tanks and never detected any CO. This doesn't really mean much though, since most of my diving is local. With any luck, it will continue to read 0.

Terry

Since I got to the Maldives the day after our sister ship had 11 hit with CO poisoning and one died I carry my $100 pocket CO tester everywhere. I don't always use it however. But if an op looks even slightly suspect then out it comes.

FYI. the measurements I've come across have been in the 0ppm to the 4ppm region. 10ppm or above its time to have a long think. Thankfully not been there yet.

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom