Comparative SMB Performance Following Free Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This was not quite a "near miss" -- everyone involved remained calm at all times, no-one was in real trouble. But there's an interesting aspect to it, which is that two divers with very different gear experienced almost exactly the same things in identical conditions. So there's some benefit in considering what happened for each and for the boat, as well as what each perceived and how each reacted.

Overview

The boat tied into a wreck in middling current. (I'm an ok swimming and I could beat the current over short distances but not sustain the pace.)

35 minutes into the dive, Diver 1 (me) did a free ascent 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile directly down current of the boat. Diver 1 was equipped with a yellow XS Scuba 7' bag, 5" in diameter. About 5' of the SMB was inflated at the surface.

Approximately 5-10 minutes later, Diver 2 did a free ascent 100-200 yds closer to the boat than Diver 1. Diver 2 was equipped with an off-brand 4' long, 3" diameter, orange SMB.

Diver 1 reached the surface as the sun was setting. The boat arrived to pickup the divers (who had by then joined) approximately 40 minutes after Diver 1 surfaced. The two divers were about 1.25-1.5 miles from the boat when it lifted anchor and headed toward them. By that time, while not yet pitch black, it was close. Both divers lost sight of the boat below the horizon 10 minutes or so before they were picked up. It was visible to both divers before that time.

Diver 1

Diver 1 used the large yellow buoy because of testing performed by a group that reported (on DIR Explorers) that all SMB's and "barbecue bags" they tried were identically visible from the boat, except that in substantial rain a large yellow SMB was superior the others. However this testing was done during the day, by a team used to team-based free-ascent decompression.

Inflating the bag using a regulator second stage to 4-5' was not difficult, however as the bag became longer on top, it tended to flop over more, and became harder to control. Diver 1 attempted to keep the bag lifted straight-up out of the water, by holding it underwater while at the surface. This could be done, but required an expenditure of effort and periodic breaks. (Note that it is not at all difficult to fully inflate the same SMB from depth and hold it vertically during a free ascent -- the difficulty arose because it was hard to maintain downward tension on the SMB once at the surface.)

As it began to get dark and the boat became harder to make out, Diver 1 turned-on his primary light, a 21-watt DIR-style canister light. Diver 1 alternated between aiming the light directly at the boat, trying to put it underneath the SMB to light it from within, and trying to aim it at the SMB so as to highlight the reflective panels on the top.

Shortly after turning on the light, Diver 1 began to see light flashes from the boat. It appeared that the boat was signalling Diver 1. The signal did not have a pattern - sometimes two flashes, sometimes it was sustained, sometimes several pulses, sometimes breaks. Diver 1 believed the boat was either 1) trying to signal that the boat saw Diver 1, or 2) trying to signal that the boat did not see Diver 1. Diver 1 therefore responded by aiming his light directly at the boat, or from side to side around the boat, to indicate his location and/or signal that he had received the boat's message.

As it became quite dark and the boat disappeared beyond the horizon, Diver 1 became concerned that the boat had lost visual contact with him, and therefore focused on maintaining the SMB in a vertical position and illuminating it with his light.

Shortly after the boat disappeared from view there were more light flashes from the boat, to which Diver 1 responded.

Shortly after that, a bright red vertical light appeared. Diver 1 believed that the boat was doing something unusual to signal its location - almost like a flare.

A few minutes later, Diver 1 saw Diver 2, and that he had an orange SMB. He swam toward Diver 2 and the two met just before the boat picked them up.

Diver 2

Diver 2 was aware of both Diver 1 and the boat as soon as he surfaced. Diver 2 inflated his SMB orally, inflated it fully, and held it either upright from the water or waved it with his hand.

As it got dark, Diver 2 began signalling to Diver 1 with his light, just to communicate and see if they wanted to meet. This is what Diver 1 thought was coming from the boat.

Diver 1's SMB was visible to Diver 2 at all times.

After it got dark, Diver 2 several times illuminated his SMB by holding his light directly up it from the bottom and held the two up. This is what Diver 1 had thought was the the odd flare or light from the boat.

As it got even darker and the boat disappeared from view, Diver 2 headed toward Diver 1, figuring that it made sense to meet up and it was better to swim with the current than against it.

The Boat

The boat had visual contact with bother divers' SMBs at all times, and saw all light flashes aimed at the boat. The boat never did anything to try and communicate with the divers, believing (correctly) that both divers would know that if they weren't on the surface by the time everyone else was the boat would pull anchor and head down-current.

Neither was more visible than the other. With one exception: when Diver 2 illuminated his SMB using his light, this was highly visible and stood out extraordinarily well. Several people on the boat commented that it made Diver 2 very easy to spot. While the boat had consistent line of sight with Diver 1's SMB, Diver 1's attempt to illuminate the SMB with his light were never visible to the boat. The boat never noticed.

Summary

Diver 2's SMB, made from thin, cheap urethane (or plastic or whatever), was easily and strongly illuminated by his light. Because the SMB was so small, Diver 2 was able to wave it above his head with his hand. The SMB was easy to inflate at the surface and control for an extended period of time.

Diver 1's SMB, made from thick, high-quality urethane (or plastic or whatever), neither reflected light well nor could it be illuminated by holding a light underneath. The urethane (or whatever) was too thick. The larger SMB was more difficult to inflate and control at the surface.

There was no difference, to the boat, in the visibility of either SMB, and the boat was able to maintain visual contact with both after the boat had passed beyond the horizon and the divers' view. The divers' SMBs were visible even when flopped on the side and not held upright.

Diver 2's SMB was not, however, visible to Diver 1 (who was at rather than above the surface) until it was illuminated, and then it was not evident what the SMB was. Diver 1's SMB was clearly visible to Diver 2 and identifiable as an SMB at all times.

Diver 1's Change

Diver 1 intends to include in his gear on future night dives a 3', orange, fully closed oral-inflate SMB (from Deep Sea Supply), which (on test) does illuminate with a light held directly underneath. Diver 1 had previously thought of this as a "training" bag, useful for beginning divers because it is easy to orally inflate while controlling buoyancy at depth, but not at all useful for ocean diving because of its small size.

Thank you VERY much for this report, because the results are really not intuitive at all. It also makes me feel better about persisting with my puny little Halcyon 3' bag!

Similar scenario for me about 18 months ago where I surfaced away from the boat in current after missing a deep wreck on a hot drop. I have both yellow and orange fully closed SMB on my person. I was able to inflate both and to use them in exactly the way that diver 1 did - shove the head of the canister light against the bottom of the smb under water and let it glow. Can't say that I had any issue keeping the SMB vertical, but I tend to dive with a lot of gear so being a little negative and using the SMB to aid with lift is very likely why I didn't struggle with that. In any case, the boat had me in no time. Wasn't something covered in my training, but it is something I've mentioned in courses I've taught since.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but does TS&M have a suggestion where I might purchase a 3.3' or the larger 4.5' Halycon or equivalent oral inflate SMB with dump valve in Seattle or mail order to a Seattle address. Thanks, cmr

Interesting and not at all the results I would have expected.
The idea of lighting the inside of a SMB had not occured to me, I must try with my SMB and see how practical it is.
Actually having a small strobe flashing from the top might be the most effective way to attrcat attention over distance. Thoughts?
For me a surprise was that the divers lost sight of the boat and the people on the boat while the reverse was not true. I wonder where they were with respect to horizons, sunset and backgrounds, sky clear or cloudy, island, etc.
I think diver 2 made the right decision to swim down current to diver 1.
Food for thought

I carry two self-sealed smb(red and yellow) made by BUDDY.
I am really surprised that divers are still using open end smb!!

Oy... There's nothing wrong with a semi-closed or open smb. They're actually much easier to deploy at depth.

A strobe would have to be quite large to be visible from a distance at night, and anyway both of us were easily spotted and visible to the boat.

The people on the boat were, of course, higher up than we were. Our heads were at sea level in the waves, they were up on a boat! In theory if we'd been further away or the waves were bigger only the tops of our smbs would have been visible.

---------- Post added July 24th, 2014 at 04:35 AM ----------

Do people really not know to illuminate the smb at night? Really?

There was a test done by Diver Magazine (UK) which found that in daylight in the seas around Britain the fluorescent yellow 6' bag was most visible. They had the same experience with the orange SMB at dusk and night, IIRC.

Thanks; the things that were so surprising to me were how hard the big smb was to manipulate on the surface; and how poorly it illuminated. The big advantage of the other divers orange one was the thin cruddy material that lit up well. Otherwise the big yellow was better-he could see mine long before I could see his.

Just a follow-up --- did a free ascent using the same big yellow bag, from the same boat, today, this time in full daylight. Weather was clear with 2-4' seas. I surfaced 3/4 to 1 mile from the boat (I think). The bag inflated fully.

When I made the bag stand up the bag was impossible to miss, I was told. However holding it standing straight up required effort and I couldn't do it for very long at the surface without a break. Lying down, the bag was harder to see in the waves, but once the boat knew generally where to look it was easy to track.

Note that it was very clear on this dive what direction the current would be, and the boat had a pretty good sense (within 5 minutes either way) of when I'd surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom