Took a ride up from 80'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

digdug87

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This happened to me this last weekend, on 9/7.
The people; I had two students to take on a deep dive. One had about 50 dives under his belt, and the other had about 15. The former one I had done basically the same dive with the day before. The latter student I had not dove with but have known for around 15 years, as we work at the same facility, and sometimes work together. Both are pretty level headed people.

The dive plan; Since I'd done the basically done the same dive yesterday, I was pretty sure that we could get in about 45 minute dive, but I also had a shorter dive of about 30 minutes as a contingency plan in case anyone was running low on air. We would drop down a buoy line to a platform at 85’, from there we take a short swim on a 230 degree heading come up to 60’ to a purposely sunk boat. If everyone was good on air we would explore around that area, and if not, move up shallower and end the dive.

What really happened; We made our descent to the 85’ platform without any problems. We had just started our swim when one of the students tapped me to get my attention. His primary regulator was starting to free flow. I gave him my primary regulator, and used my secondary. I asked him if he was OK, he signaled back that he was. I then grabbed ahold of the right strap of his BC. I then asked the other student if he was OK, he also signaled back that he was. I signaled him that the dive was over, and that we were going to the surface. He signaled back OK. I turned to face the student that I had ahold of, that was using my primary regulator, I signaled that we going up. This where things start to get a bit fuzzy, as I’m not exactly sure what happened next. I saw the student lift their inflator hose as if to dump air out of the BC. I think that he may have hit both the inflate and deflate buttons. I can tell that we are going up, and that rate of ascent is way too fast. I start to dump air out of his BC, but it’s too late we’re at the surface. I put some air in my BC, so that I’ll float. I ask the student if he’s ok, he responds that he is. This student is also a very experienced paramedic. If he says, he’s ok, I believe him. I give myself the once over, no pain, no coughing, no discomfort, and no blood, all seems good. We wait for what seems like forever for other student to surface. He does a normal ascent with a safety stop, and he is also fine.
As we make our way to the exit point, I check my computer and it shows that we had a total dive time of 6 minutes, and I’ve got a no dive time of about 2:30 hours. Regardless of what the computer says we’re done diving for the day. Neither of us exhibits any symptoms DCI over the next 4 hours or so, and we head home.
Any suggestions on how this might have been handled differently? From my perspective everything happened so fast.

The only thing that comes to mind immediately is that you may have been able to resolve the freeflow at depth and avoided the close contact ascent. That way only one diver would have an uncontrolled ascent :)

Agree with the above. What did you do to try and handle the free flow at depth? I would have tried a few things at depth, ascended to 60ft to see if that solved the problem. If it was still out of control, I would have ascended to the surface.

One of my dive buddies had a free flowing 2nd stage at 100ft that couldn't be resolved and he needed to do a buddy ascent. He now has isolators on all his 2nd stages.

I tend to agree as well.

Free flow does not constitute an emergency. They can breath off the free flow while making their ascent, with their buddy close by in the event the free flow drains the tank, or becomes "difficult" to handle during the ascent.

No need to do an alternate air share right away.

Its very early in the dive. You have lots of air and the other person has a few minutes off the free flowing reg. Or if they do not like that they can let it free flow and breath off their alternate for a short time. How close were you to the buoy line you came down? From your description it should have been only one or two mintues away. If that buoy line was real close I would be inclined to return to buoy line and go up that. Easier to control ascent rate. But then in NC if safe we return to the anchor line to avoid free ascents when possible. Sounds like you should have plenty of gas to get to the buoy line and do a safe ascent.

In addition to what others have said, I think your assessment of the cause of the trident missile ascent is wrong. The deflator should always have a higher flow rate than the inflator; they are engineered that way specifically to avoid the two-button express elevator experience.

Glad to hear you and your buddy were OK. If I had an uncontrolled ascent which is what you're describing, I would have gone down to 20 feet and recompress for 3-5 minutes (similarly at 10'). It's just basic physics of compressing potential bubbles that may lead to gas embolism. I know various agencies, in general, advise against in-water recompression (I think they view the dangers as outweighing the benefits) but I don't agree with that. In your case, you were buddy breathing and away from the buoy line, so there were additional complications.

Any suggestions on how this might have been handled differently? From my perspective everything happened so fast.

No suggestions, only some info.

If this was a jacket-style BC, the shoulder dump on the BC has a much higher capacity than the inlet on the inflator valve. If you hold the shoulder dump open and it's a high point, it doesn't matter what else happens, the BC won't have any air in it.

If you had a few seconds, you could have disconnected the inflator hose, however that was probably a few seconds you didn't have. For an immediate first reaction, dump the air, then you'll have time to figure out what's going on.

flots.

Last edited:
A few people have mentioned that there are things you can do to try to fix a free-flowing regulator at depth. Being a new diver, I'd like to ask... What exactly can you try?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom