Passed my written

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

auberg

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've been lurking around here for a couple of months now, and am at a point where I think I can contribute a little. Just for starters, I finished my pool sessions last night, and passed my written. Missed 4, and could have kicked myself, because 3 of them were from lack of focus. (as opposed to actually not knowing the right answers.) That said, all I have left is my open water dives. Would someone want to tell me what I should expect? I know we will go back over all of the same skills, but I figure there has to be something else, we are doing 5 dives.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Usually you'll get to spend some time just touring around like a real dive.

auberg:
Well, I've been lurking around here for a couple of months now, and am at a point where I think I can contribute a little. Just for starters, I finished my pool sessions last night, and passed my written. Missed 4, and could have kicked myself, because 3 of them were from lack of focus. (as opposed to actually not knowing the right answers.) That said, all I have left is my open water dives. Would someone want to tell me what I should expect? I know we will go back over all of the same skills, but I figure there has to be something else, we are doing 5 dives.

Thanks in advance.

Frank
just relax and enjoy the dive!!!

auberg:
all I have left is my open water dives. Would someone want to tell me what I should expect? I know we will go back over all of the same skills, but I figure there has to be something else, we are doing 5 dives.
Frank

First dive is just go down and swimm around a little then come back up. On other dives you will do the pool skills over again and then swimm around if there is any air remaining.

Next save you nickles and make a trip out to the ocean. Florida is not expensive and even here is So Cal it's not bad. The big thing is to do it. and keep diving. So many people stop diving after the class. Find a local group or club and become a "regulare" with them.

Well, the whole reason I did this is I have a trip to Hawaii coming up in September. Didn't know if I'd ever get to go back, so I thought what could I do to make this trip extra special.

Every instructor does things a little differently but there won't be any surprises. You'll spend time reviewing the skills you already do and you'll cruise around a little. Get there a bit early so you aren't stressed by having to play catch up. Pack your gear the night before so there isn't the stress of finding something you've misplaced.

It's going to be fun.

My first ocean dive was in Oahu. 102 feet on the Corsair. And the next was a drift dive. I think I had a whole 14 quarry dives under my belt when I left TN and I thought I was a diving sack of hell.

How little did I know.

You're going to have a fantastic time. I'm jealous.

From my own experience, I'd suggest being mindful of ear pressure when making your descents. Equalize early and often, and don't hesitate to let your instructor know if you are having problems, and don't worry if you need extra time to equalize.

Some folks (myself included) have problems equalizing at first, and then it gets easier later.

Good luck, I expect you will really enjoy it. Let us know how it goes!

I have to admit, I got very lucky, I found a really good instructor. He's been patient with me, I didn't grow up swimming so I'm not the most comfortable person in the water. (understatement) But I think we have moved through the skills fairly quickly. I mean that in a good way. The main problems I've had is actually on the surface. But my points to the question is really about any "surprizes" and, that I try to visualize what's going to happen (good and bad) and be ready for it before I ever get wet.

You'll be amazed at how quickly what you've learned in training will kick in if you ever get "surprized". Just stop, breathe, think and then act. You'll do fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom