How do Local dive shops stay afloat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I went into my Local Dive Shop (LDS) the other day and the prices were so much more than on the internet. Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the internet doesn't have overhead, a store lots of employees etc.. Does anyone here buy their gear from LDS? If so what's the advantage?

25 POSTS, nice.......do a search on Leisure Pro.

The LDS issue is a big one, and stores are closing all the time. A search for LDS will give you a massive amount of debate on the subject.

Personally I shop at my LDS because no internet store would let me pay up for expensive items over time, and give me the odd free fill or bit of gear (got a slate and a knife and a back up torch that way!)

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Is the internet cheaper, Yes! Is the selection better, somtimes, Is there customer service as good as my LDS? Not even close!! I know im new to diving and have very limited experience but i have realised that the best relationship i have thru diving is my LDS. The guy i deal with is great! He works with me on price, is always throwing somthing in, If i have any problems he has a solution in no time not to mention hes a great person in general. Do i pay a little more? yep you bet but to me its worth the piece of mind to know if i need something special or just good advice i have someone i can turn to. Besides if your LDS has to close where are you going to get those emergency items from, ie. mask strap, fin clip ect. just my 2 cents

The advantage of buying from your LDS is you get a warranty with your gear unlike buying over the internet. Most things bought off the computer do not come with a warranty. We do buy some stuff from Leisure Pro and Scuba Toys. My hubby bought a BCD from Leisure Pro and we could send it back if we noticed any problems before getting it wet, after that you are on your own. Well, needless to say it looked fine (NIB- so they claim) so we went for a boat dive. Hubby couldn't keep air in his BC while on the surface. When we got home we stuck the BC in a trash can full of water to see where there might be a leak. Under the padding in the back were small holes. We immediately contacted LP and they said since we got it wet it was ours to keep and sorry. After trying to repair it several times we chalked it up to experience learned on expensive equipment and buy from our LDS. We purchase electronic equipment and BCD's locally and little gadgets (noise maker, lights, wetsuits) off the internet. Basically, if you want a warranty you better check to see who is giving you what you want. Our LDS will try to come close on matching the internet but of course they do have to make some money.

I think it is important to not judge every LDS the same way. I price match, give a warranty, and throw in the little extras to boot. If it is a really good customer who frequents the store and is a "regular" of sorts then we will give free air fills, a tank inspection here and there and much more. I believe the internet is here to stay and I am competively priced if not better priced on some items. Maybe not all LDS's are this way but the best way to find out is to shop around. I think you can give great service, and excellent pricing, not just one or the other.....

My rule of thumb is that if the LDS can get within 10% of the online prices I’ll give him the business so he can stay around to support me.

robbcayman:
I went into my Local Dive Shop (LDS) the other day and the prices were so much more than on the internet. Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the internet doesn't have overhead, a store lots of employees etc.. Does anyone here buy their gear from LDS? If so what's the advantage?

You are wrong about Internet stores not having overhead, a store lots of employees etc. They do.
In fact it's worse. A "real store" can hire help at low wage. Retail sail does not pay all that well. But the skills required to build and maintain a web based store are more expensive skills. On top of this many of the on-line stores ARE "real stores" that just hapen to also have a web site.

But in spite of this the web based stores are making money while selling at a lower price.

I think that over time the only way the smaller store will stay in bussines is to offer things that simply cannot be bought over the Internet. There are lots of things like that. Instruction, local charter boats, equipment service. Maybe more importently they can organize groups and trips and offer leadership and sponcer activities Of course doing this requires more brainpower than simply reselling boxes at 100% markup The good ones will servive and I don't care about the others.

I've noticed changes in some local shops recently. Most are getting smarter. The Internet will not go away.

I have been thinking for a while about a new bussines model I call it a "diver's co-op" It's like a dive club, it has not store or other building but they sell equipment and offer instruction but at the end of the year any money remaining is given back to the members b some formula. Call it a non-proffet virtual div center. There are some problems with thisidea and you may need to put someone on salery

ChrisA:
A "real store" can hire help at low wage. Retail sail does not pay all that well. But the skills required to build and maintain a web based store are more expensive skills. On top of this many of the on-line stores ARE "real stores" that just hapen to also have a web site.

Yes, all the "real stores" have unskilled imbeciles working at them!

robbcayman:

Yes I buy locally as long as I can get a reasonable break. I don't expect rock bottom internet pricing just a decent chunk off list. What is the value? Here is an example.....

My wife and I have our new gear bought mostly locally and all for 15-20% less than list. Sunday moring we go for our first solo dive and an o-ring up in her DIN connector fails and she has a leak. Unfortunately the shop is closed Sundays so we are out of luck. Monday (today) she stops in after work, he takes it apart, finds the problem, corrects it including why it failed prematurely while she waits and says bring your husbands by just in case it's the same. We're going to be diving Wednesday. :)

If I had bought online I would have been hoping a shop would look at it under warranty or I'd be paying out of my pocket. I may not have gotten on the spot service either. More important to me is time. Depending on logistics UPS cycles can burn weeks before you know it sending things back and forth, not to mention the hassle of shipping. As long as I can get decent discounts, service and advice the LDS has earned my patronage.

I have also encountered some carriage trade shops that say they have the best and aren't affraid to charge for it and are condescending to new divers. They may get a sale due to exclusivity, inventory or other things but they are not where I go first.

Lastly the local diving comunities will be in world of hurt without shop to supply affordable fills, offer quik service, free advice, weekly shop dives and so forth. As long as I get service and meet me in the middle on prices I'll support them.

I'll admit that I'm an online gadget junkie mostly because the accessory selection locally is a little thin and it's easy to shop at home.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom