New Diver, Questions about new gear and what to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DTB1981

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am a new diver I live in Okinawa and I am in the Air Force. I bought all new gear for snorkling before I was certified to dive; I got the gear with the intentions of geting certified. Tusa Imprex mask, Platina snorkle and Expert Zoom fins I also got a body glove 2/3 mil wetsuit and a soft weight belt. After going through O/W I bought a used BC and reg set up from some friends and the base dive shop. The BC is a older sherwood without intergrated weights. The reg is a Sherwood Brut it is the SRB5 so it is not to old, and it came with an oceaniac slimline octo, and some no name gagues(depth pressure and tem). I got all the "dive" gear for about $200, I also got 2 alum 80's with a 4 month old vis and hydro for $175, so I dont have to rent any thing while I save for new gear. My question now is what to get first I am stuck between geting a new Tusa Liberator BC with intragrated weights for $275, $325 with duo-air or geting the Tusa SCA 330 computer and console for $375. All this is coming from the LDS. I only have enough to get one this month. So what should I get? I am not set on that BC.

Thanks in advance Derrick

DTB1981:
My question now is what to get first I am stuck between geting a new Tusa Liberator BC with intragrated weights for $275, $325 with duo-air or geting the Tusa SCA 330 computer and console for $375. All this is coming from the LDS. I only have enough to get one this month. So what should I get? I am not set on that BC.

Personally, as long as your BC is in good condition (and it would probably be a good idea to have it thoroughly inspected) I'd go with the computer. You're going to see a big increase in your allowed dive times with the computer vs. diving off of tables. Since the tables assume a square profile and dives rarely ever are, you're giving up bottom time. Get the computer and increase the amount of time you get to stay down!

Oh.. and I should mention that I don't know anything about the specific computer you mention, so just read my post as an answer to "should I get a new BC or a computer first".

Safe Diving!

Would you rather have more bottom time or a more comfortable BCD? If the tables are the limiting factor for your diving (as I would think would be the case in Okinawa) I'd go for the computer.

You're over the first hurdle - if you have used gear that is working ok for you, I'd just do a little more diving first and not rush on new gear. With more dives you'll get a better idea of what's right for you, and you'll also have time to research it more. If you have a chance to try the stuff you might buy first that would be great too.

That said, since you already have a BC, unless there's a real problem with it (like bad fit) I'd get a computer. However, you might consider getting just a computer to wear on your wrist rather than in a console as you already have gauges. I have one of each and find it much more convienient to look at the one on my wrist. Plus then it is easier to use it with with any gear, or take it elsewhere to look at it after diving. And it doesn't hurt to have the backup gauges anyway.

Thanks for your input; I wanted to get the new BC so I don't have to deal with the weight belt. But I do what the computer to increase bottom time I can get it for 75 less if I just get computer the console adds a pressure gauge and compass. It is the same computer. I can rent ether one for $4 a day. So maybe I should give them both a try and find out.

DTB1981:
Thanks for your input; I wanted to get the new BC so I don't have to deal with the weight belt. But I do what the computer to increase bottom time I can get it for 75 less if I just get computer the console adds a pressure gauge and compass. It is the same computer. I can rent ether one for $4 a day. So maybe I should give them both a try and find out.

If the BC checks out as good and safe I'd use it with a belt. With a 3/2 suit the belt can't be much of a burden. I actually enjoyed the simplicty of the non W/I bcs I trained in. (Sherwood Silouete, Aqualung Wave)

If the BRUT breathes OK to your needs and has been serviced then you have a good solid though not elegant regulator. The Octo is OK if it's OK.

As for instruments you need to consider redundancy and placement. Personally I won't be counting on a computer for depth, I will retain a console gauge. I want to be able to dive if the computer goes down and I only trust electonic sensors so far. IMO air integrated is in the same boat. The compass can be in the console, on a retractor on your wrist or on a slte that's clipped off or in a pocket. The computer can be wrist, console or retactor mounted. Spend some time in gear form reading the logic behnd each, it's really a style choce IMO.
The you can look at specific computers. If you're starting out the is no shame (and some positives) to diving tables. Many dives may not even begin to tease the NDL and a computer bought early on can just be another distracting gadget.

Pete

spectrum:
As for instruments you need to consider redundancy and placement. Personally I won't be counting on a computer for depth, I will retain a console gauge. I want to be able to dive if the computer goes down and I only trust electonic sensors so far. IMO air integrated is in the same boat.

Regardless of whether or not you have a separate depth gauge or air integration on the computer, if your computer fails, you're going to have a problem switching to tables because your NDL is likely going to be completely blown out for repetitive dives. Unless you're diving with an alternate computer as a backup concurrently with the failed comp. that you can turn to, your safest bet is a nice long sit to offgass (24hrs) and then switching to another computer or starting tables as a non-repetitive dive.

rtkane:
Regardless of whether or not you have a separate depth gauge or air integration on the computer, if your computer fails, you're going to have a problem switching to tables because your NDL is likely going to be completely blown out for repetitive dives. Unless you're diving with an alternate computer as a backup concurrently with the failed comp. that you can turn to, your safest bet is a nice long sit to offgass (24hrs) and then switching to another computer or starting tables as a non-repetitive dive.

How did anyone ever dive before computers!

If you're doing simple dives or you know the depth and times of a single prior dive you can still plan a second on tables.

I agree that if you're doing multiple 3,4 even 5 or more dives a day like on a vacation and the computer crashes you're a lost cause for 24 hours.

My biggest concern is actually the simple local shore dive that I expect will make up the bulk of my diving. Being out of commision for an failed electronic gadget is unacceptable to me. That said I am looking forward to having one for ascent warnings, true average depths for air useage calculations and everything else I can glean from it. I'm just saying that for the vast majority of divers and dives it's not a must have item. Some divers are surely at each end of the need spectrum.

Pete

The Brut breaths vary well. The octo was just rebuilt. I was looking at the console because my gauges are a little big and the depth gauge sticks tell I get to 20 ft. After reading all the responses I may just get a new set of gauges with a compass. The weight belt seems to be better the last time I went out. I think it was stretching the first couple of times. I was having trouble with it moving around. But I think it will be ok now. So what do you suggest I get? Or just leave it alone?

Derrick

Having a compass is good. If your depth gauge is sticking I'd definitely do something about that.

Back
Top Bottom