horrible diving experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Siren

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had a horrible diving experience and thought that most of you have too - especially the beginners like me. Write and share your horrible dives. Should make interesting reading!!

Mine was a 44 minute nightmare of clouds of silt and only the sound of my own breathing. I was a maniac - totally out of control with a new suit and hood in 67 degree water - I HATE THE COLD!!! I was overweighted to even get down and when I finally got to around 50 feet, I compressed and dropped like a rock to 84 feet. I was totally over tasked and my inflator was trailing me over my head - I couldn't find it. Good thing that I was with two divers that knew what they were doing.

We were at Alabama blue water and off the left most deck it drops to 85 feet. DON'T EVEN TRY TO GO DOWN THERE - swim way over to the right and then go down. Too much silt to see anything. It was a LOVELY first dive after the cert dives! I would highly recommend getting your worst and most terrifying dive out of the way early on!

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Siren:
...I had a horrible diving experience and thought that most of you have too - especially the beginners like me. ...

I guess I am out of the norm because with hundreds of dives, I have not had a horrible experience diving.

Siren:
...I would highly recommend getting your worst and most terrifying dive out of the way early on!

I disagree strongly. By the sound of your description you were literally in over your head and were simply lucky you didn't die. Smart divers dive within their limits and don't do dives that cause their safety to be totally in the hands of others (a.k.a "trust me dives").

I realize you may be taking poetic license in order to get people to post, but I think its bordering on irresponsibility.

Be sure to check our our New Divers forum. Stick around, tour the forums, forget about your first post here and we will too in a week or so. PM me if I can help you find your way here.

don :crafty:

Hello Siren,

even though your user name indicates that you lure seamen to a watery grave, I recommend that you do not take that literally... :D

Laurens

BTW, welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

:wink: :wink: Welcome Siren, I think there are a lot more bad experiences out there than divers want to admit to. When you get a lot of dives logged your memory goes bad. You forget how it felt to be a new diver and you also forget any close calls or dumb things you might have done on those first ow dives. Absorb as much information as you can from this website. There is a wealth of information here. Happy Diving!!!!!! Be safe!!

I AGREE!!! I wanted to get in the water so badly that I was willing to be uncomfortable (with a new suit, new hood and mask, and different weight in cold water) just to do it. NOT to mention trusting my buddies TOO much - that will never happen again! I am fully aware that this is a hands on sport and that you must be fully involved in - not just take someone's word for it. I should have never been in a 85 foot spot to begin with and that was the plan - so I didn't even know I was in water that deep. You are right - I could have died!

Otter:
I guess I am out of the norm because with hundreds of dives, I have not had a horrible experience diving.

I disagree strongly. By the sound of your description you were literally in over your head and were simply lucky you didn't die. Smart divers dive within their limits and don't do dives that cause their safety to be totally in the hands of others (a.k.a "trust me dives").

I realize you may be taking poetic license in order to get people to post, but I think its bordering on irresponsibility.

Back
Top Bottom